free website stats program Stuck Oil Filter | Harley Davidson Forums

Stuck Oil Filter

franka

Anyone have any tricks on removing an oil filter thats on so tight the wrench just continues to slip around the filter as pressure is applied?

Try to add some friction material between the filter and the wrench. Wrapping electrical tape "backwards" around the filter wrench loop, that is with the sticky side out, will enable you to get a grip on the filter. Hope this helps...

Anyone have any tricks on removing an oil filter thats on so tight the wrench just continues to slip around the filter as pressure is applied?

Put a small (use Sharp punch or phillips screwdriver) Hole in Bottom outside End edge of oil filter... Just To Drain the oil out..

Then take a "sharp" Long Phillips Screwdriver an Tap it thru both sides, close to end of the filter making it a "turning device" like a "T" handle....

should work...

signed....BUBBIE:D

What type of wrench are you using ? There is the type with a loop and handle that fits around the filter and then there is the type that fits over the end of the filter and you use a rachet to remove the filter. I had to use the later on Sat. Good luck - Bob

Ive got a 3 legged filter wrench that fits over the end of the filter can use a 1/2" or a 3/8" square drive the more pressure that is applied to it the tighter the grip gets have once or twice put three large dents in the filter because it was so tight but always works

Brian

I had to run a screwdriver through my filter that was put on by local HD store. Put them on hand tight with a little lube on the seal. For the past 2 years I have been using the chrome filters you can get from V-Twin. They have a hex head on the end so you just take a 5/8 socket, long extension, and your ratchet and screw them right off. It really simplifys and speeds up the procedure.

Back