free website stats program Stuck Oil Filter | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Stuck Oil Filter

Snap On filter pliars, or you can get a cheaper version from Harbor Freight

I got a pair of Framm brand pliers at walmart...inexpensive and they work great. Got them because I had a stuck filter on a cage. Spun it right off. All I use anymore.

I've also had luck getting my larger "Channel Lock" pliers over the filter & twisting. Had to do the screwdriver trick a few times too, but it works. Good luck!

Had the same problem with a neighbor's bike. I wrapped a piece of sandpaper around the filter with the rough side up. Slid the filter wrench over the sand paper and it loosened right up.

Take a look at the following link for different types of wrenches, and yes electrical tape or duct tape does give you more traction to turn that rascal when it is stuck...

http://www.hdtimeline.com/oil_related_tips/25125-filter_wrench.html

The other thing is not to overtighten the new one...oil the gasket, and once it touches the base you should only be able to hand tighten maybe a half turn more, that is about it, and there should be no leaks. DO NOT USE YOUR WRENCH to tighten further.

Last edited:
Although the hole and screwdriver technique usually does work, I wouldn't recommend it. If it stays stuck you'll be chipping pieces of metal out of the bike for weeks. Keep the filter intact and get a better grip. I would recommend the HD wrench that fits over the hex shaped end of the filter.

I've actually used a 2" leather belt (Like a strap wrench) the leather doesn't stretch like the rubber on the strap wrench. Plus the harder you pull the tighter the belt gets, so no slips...

Anyone have any tricks on removing an oil filter thats on so tight the wrench just continues to slip around the filter as pressure is applied?
24" pipe wrench always works. perhaps you can take a sheet of sand paper (around 60-80 grit) and fold it over on itself with grit side on filter AND on wrench - should give you the grip you need.

Bill

Back