free website stats program Stock Bike needs new air filter | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Stock Bike needs new air filter

So does anyone have the K&N stock number for a replacement for the Stage 1 Harley filter ? I have a 2010 SG with the Stage one setup and have been considering the K&N filter....but which one ?

For my 2009 RKC I ordered the RK3930. It comes with a larger base to allow more air flow but still uses the stock cover. There were several options on their website for my year so I called. They were very helpful. I got it at Amazon $140

So does anyone have the K&N stock number for a replacement for the Stage 1 Harley filter ? I have a 2010 SG with the Stage one setup and have been considering the K&N filter....but which one ?

If you are referring to the K&N filter for the stage 1, that HD0800.

Thanks Glider, That sounds familiar. I wasn't sure but I've come to understand that you are.

Thanks again.

K&N says their filters demonstrate a cumulative filtration efficiency of between 96% and 99%.
They don't compare their numbers to OEM stock filters so it's somewhat of a meaningless specification.

I still run a stock air filter out of fear of ingesting sand and dirt into my engine. The charts show a gain in power/torque but do they really filter as good as they say they do? I would like to let my engine breath better but not at the cost of loosing compression over time.

If those filter systems were that good, I would think some of the specialty cars would come DIRECTLY from the factory with them. An example would be the Shelby Mustang GT 500. Not one produces the claimed 500HP in FACTORY trim & could use all the extra help they can get to meet spec. But I think the factory won't use them because of the dirt they allow to pass.(?)
I know the factory system does trap the dirt well.

Just wondering what others think about possible engine wear verses the small gain in performance.

Hoople, I have run K&N filters on all my bikes since the 80s and put alot of miles on all of them with out any wear and tear, my 92 FLHS went 58,000 before I sold it, the friend of mine I sold it to went another 50K with minor base gasket leaks before he traded it. K&N has been round a long time in fact I remember as a young one my Dad telling me about them:s

Seems to me k&n would filter better being oiled not dry like stock.
WAP.gif

My first air filter change I thought the stock filter didn't look that dirty, and there was some fraying on part of it. The paper was developing a small hole.
The dealer found it at the 1000mi service. I went to the stock size K&N just so I save in the long run and after 2 cleanings I'm making money. I ran them on my Yamaha back in 78' and liked them then but never put serious miles on it to tell anything about quality of filtration.

didn't look that dirty, and there was some fraying on part of it. The paper was developing a small hole.
I save in the long run and after 2 cleanings I'm making money.

I have seen that filter fraying on my stock filters also. It's not good at all and if you don't catch it early,....it will tear some parts up.

You must have got a great price on your K&N filter because the MSRP is over $80. I will shop around for a better price and give one a try. My stock HD filters are $20 so the payout is way down the road but worth it if the K&N work better and don't fray.

Just found my filter size with K&N oiling kit for $52 including shipping which was not bad. Sure beats MSRP of $81 for the filter alone. Gotta love the internet!

Back