free website stats program Stock Bike needs new air filter | Harley Davidson Forums

Stock Bike needs new air filter

Vegas Sam

Need some help, not very good at searching the net. Would like to replace my stock filter on my 2011 SG, with 103 with a K&N that fits my stock unit. Can't seem to find the right part number. Can anyone help?

Sam

Before you go and replace the stock air filter with a short K&N, why not upgrade the intake to the stage 1 and get a benefit out of the replacement. The stock setup even with the K&N replacement filter is barely better than a stock filter.

A friend had a K&N filter to replace the stock filter. This was using the stock hardware. All I had to do was remove old filter and replace with new K&N filter.

It just so happened the local H-D dealership was running a special on dyno runs so I decided to run the stock and then switch with the K&N and see what difference I might see in filters. No other changes, just run stock, then swap in the K&N.

On my '02 1200 XL.
HP I gained .5 with the K&N.
Torque I lost .8.

The small differences didn't justify the cost of the K&N.
He wanted $65.

Later I did do a complete Stage 1, using both the SE A/C and SE mufflers and also doing a change with the jets on the Sportster.
Then it was noticable and worth it.

I got a K & N for about twice what a stock filter costs and figured that if I cleaned the K & N a couple of times it was paid for. Saved about $10 to $15 on Ebay even with the shipping cost.

K&N says their filters demonstrate a cumulative filtration efficiency of between 96% and 99%.
They don't compare their numbers to OEM stock filters so it's somewhat of a meaningless specification.

I still run a stock air filter out of fear of ingesting sand and dirt into my engine. The charts show a gain in power/torque but do they really filter as good as they say they do? I would like to let my engine breath better but not at the cost of loosing compression over time.

If those filter systems were that good, I would think some of the specialty cars would come DIRECTLY from the factory with them. An example would be the Shelby Mustang GT 500. Not one produces the claimed 500HP in FACTORY trim & could use all the extra help they can get to meet spec. But I think the factory won't use them because of the dirt they allow to pass.(?)
I know the factory system does trap the dirt well.

Just wondering what others think about possible engine wear verses the small gain in performance.

Hoop, I worried about the same thing and then noticed that the local dealership had a K & N shelf. With an unlimited mileage warranty, I figure neither the dealer nor the MOCO would sell something which generated warranty work. All it would take is one denial of warranty claim BECAUSE of an air filter the dealer sold and the bad publicity and complaining could be heard without benefit of the internet. For me it was a saving money thing, not looking for 0.5 hp gain.

Back