free website stats program Starting issues | Harley Davidson Forums

Starting issues

LiLWalk7

I had recently purchased a 2006 softail deluxe in January. It has less than 2200 miles on the bike. I have been riding it for about 10 months and things seem fine. The bike was starting rough and upon the advice from a friend I changed out the battery. This seemed to fix the problem for a couple of weeks until this weekend. I went to start the bike after a half hour ride and the bike wouldn't turn over. All lights and electronics are working but the bike just would turn over. After kick starting the bike and getting it home, I turned the bike off and then attempted to start it up. It finally turned over and started however extremely rough. ANy thoughts or ideas where to head next? I appreciate any and all feedback.

Check the cables and make sure they are clean and tight. Cables have two ends and both need checked. Wouldn't hurt to remove them, inspect and hook them back up. Check the surface voltage of the battery with a quality VOM. also check voltage while trying to crank the bike. Reprot back with your findings.

Welcome to the Forum!

You also may want to have battery load tested. Check all relays and fuses for secure connection. Have you changed out the handle bar switches or covers??

I bet he means that while sitting on bike and pushing fast enough, dump clutch in 1st or second and bike started up and road home.......

It will skid the rear wheel in about every gear but the highest one if you try to "jump" start and some times, depending on the ccp, it will skid in the highest gear too.

Al

I had someone push me and I had the bike in 2nd. After numerous attempts it finally started. Something I would rather not have to attempt again.

Look at your starter, there should be a rubber boot over the wires. Peel back the boot and make sure the connections are clean and tight. Use a volt meter connected to the positive lug on the starter, hit the start button and record your voltage ( be sure battery is fully charged @ 12.7 volts during ALL tests) and report back:s

So....I checked the cable hooked to the battery. The negative terminal was attached but loose. I tightened both neg and pos terminal connections and the bike fired right up. I then tested the start multiple times and it fired up without a hiccup. THanks for all the advise. It turned out to be a simple solution. Looks like I am going to ask for a tool kit to keep in my bike from my wife this Christmas.

Back