free website stats program Starter button dead | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter button dead

There will be NO power @ the green wire until it is triggered d by the relay or jumper ed that is the ignition side of the solenoid
So Jack, would you say there is an interruption between that green wire and the starter button? When I pull the plug on the ecm/starter relay there is no power to the ignition. So wouldn't jumping it be impossible? I'm gonna pull the fairing and check fuses I guess. I guess I could jump from the battery to the plug in where the green plug goes? Will that fry the ecm?

So Jack, would you say there is an interruption between that green wire and the starter button? When I pull the plug on the ecm/starter relay there is no power to the ignition. So wouldn't jumping it be impossible? I'm gonna pull the fairing and check fuses I guess. I guess I could jump from the battery to the plug in where the green plug goes? Will that fry the ecm?
If you have no power with the relay out, the relay is probably OK, if nothing happens when you jump the starter connections there is some thing wrong in the starter be it the solenoid or the starter itself Do not jumper to the green wire with an outside source only jump to it from the battery lug on the starter

Jumped to the green wire plug on the solenoid and it turned over. Figured why not just let it run for a bit? Shut it off, hit starter button and it fired right up. Now it's starting like it should. I don't get it. Stuck starter? Voltage on the ignition pole was enough to move it!

Jumped to the green wire plug on the solenoid and it turned over. Figured why not just let it run for a bit? Shut it off, hit starter button and it fired right up. Now it's starting like it should. I don't get it. Stuck starter? Voltage on the ignition pole was enough to move it!
Remove both wires clean them good and re install them, my dad the best mechanic I knew said Electricity is a funny animal ALWAYS clean and tight connections

As Jack stated there is no voltage on the small green wire until you push the start button.
You said you had no voltage from solenoid to starter motor. That would also be correct until the solenoid is energized by way of the start button. The cable that has the voltage on the big lug of the solenoid goes directly to the positive side of the battery.
The way you jumper-ed the starter only test the starter motor, not the solenoid/jack shaft/bendix. If you disconnect the small solenoid wire then take a jumper from the battery positive post to the solenoid, where you disconnected the small wire, does the starter work or any clicks/noises?? If it turns then you have something wrong between start button and solenoid. Could be a fuse or relay.
You may have tried all of this or referred to do this, I didn't feel like rereading 5 pages. Got Lazy(lol)
tourbox

As Jack stated there is no voltage on the small green wire until you push the start button.
You said you had no voltage from solenoid to starter motor. That would also be correct until the solenoid is energized by way of the start button. The cable that has the voltage on the big lug of the solenoid goes directly to the positive side of the battery.
The way you jumper-ed the starter only test the starter motor, not the solenoid/jack shaft/bendix. If you disconnect the small solenoid wire then take a jumper from the battery positive post to the solenoid, where you disconnected the small wire, does the starter work or any clicks/noises?? If it turns then you have something wrong between start button and solenoid. Could be a fuse or relay.
You may have tried all of this or referred to do this, I didn't feel like rereading 5 pages. Got Lazy(lol)
tourbox
We will get this figured out yet Ray ;)

Well I posted to late. Glad it's going. You could also have a dirty solenoid plunger plate.
tourbox

Take a look here
HD95FLHT017.gif

Back