free website stats program Starter button dead | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter button dead

I took all the connections off, cleaned with sand paper and tightened back up. Still nothing. So I then got jumper cables and went from the battery to the starter post and still got nothing. Just to be 100 percent that the battery is fully charged I went ahead and put the trickle charge on. So that's where I'm at now.

Locate the starter relay in the side cover , remove it and jumper the socket Does it start?
I have the side cover off. The starter relay is not specifically labeled. And what exactly is the procedure for jumping it?

Last edited by a moderator:
#4 is your ECM/ Starter relay You could mahe a jumper wire with flat spade ends be sure to use heavy gauge wire
HD95FLHT127.gif

Sh
I have the side cover off. The starter relay is not specifically labeled. And what exactly is the procedure for jumping it?
Hey wait a sec...is the bike in neutral? Put the bike in neutral and try to start it. The reason I'm asking is, My bike has clutch switch. Maybe yours does too.

It has actually been in neutral. Wouldn't jumping from the + battery post to the post on the starter be bypassing the relays? Since nothing is happening would that mean its somethings with the starter?

It has actually been in neutral. Wouldn't jumping from the + battery post to the post on the starter be bypassing the relays? Since nothing is happening would that mean its somethings with the starter?
If you jump across the starter connections ignition on run switch on bike in neutral you can bet the problem is the relay

Why was battery changed in the first place......
Battery was shot when I got the bike. Sat dead for a while. I made it last this past summer. Wanted to hold out till this spring before I put in a new one. Btw- it's an interstate battery.

Battery was shot when I got the bike. Sat dead for a while. I made it last this past summer. Wanted to hold out till this spring before I put in a new one. Btw- it's an interstate battery.
What I would suggest then is to pull battery take it back to Interstate and have checked for proper charge and load tested. I would also be sure that they sold the proper battery for application.

I'm sure the kill switch is on, right? I know it seems obvious......

I'm sure the kill switch is on, right? I know it seems obvious......
Ha ha. I have checked it 100 times. I know, it seems like I'm looking over something so simple. Battery is still on trickle charger. I put the battery in and it fired right up 2 weeks ago. I'm seriously stumped!

Back