free website stats program Staggered | Harley Davidson Forums

Staggered

walleye

Contributor
While group riding, I have always rode in a staggered formation. I have a group I ride with on an annual trip. One rider seems to think this is an insignificant procedure. I have explained that it increases stopping distances and makes it safer for all involved. I sometimes end up behind him and he is back and forth all the time. If he is behind me I worry about where he is as well. He also seems to fall behind riders in front of him causing traffic problems with cagers. I do not bring it up routinely as I don't want to be pushy. Question is, should I just ignore since I only ride once a year with him?(even though it is for a 4-5 day ride) Or should I bring it up prior to this years ride and make my case? I should mention of the other 4 riders, only one other than myself has more than a few years experience. This really bothers me and want to know if I am over reacting. Thanks for listening to me complain, but the annual ride is coming up fast.:20:

Last edited:
All you can do is "suggest proper riding etiquette", beyond that, it is up to the "Road Captain" or person in charge. Some groups do not believe in the staggered technique, but they are in the minority, as all you need is one rider to take everyone out if immediately side by side in tight formation.

I would say something weather he likes it or not if your worrying the whole time you arent having fun

I would say something weather he likes it or not if your worrying the whole time you arent having fun

I guess I am not worrying all the time, but am more concerned if there was an emergency. I am always looking out for myself while riding and always have an exit plan, that is for sure. I will say something prior to this trip. Trouble is, they have never really understood the whole thing. Road captain, staggered, MC rules excedera. I got them intersted in riding, now we all do a annual trip. They all bought HD bikes. We live in different states and see each other a few times a year. I guess it is up to me to have a visit and explain my concerns. They are all decent guys and hopefully will understand. If I don't and something happens, then I will really feel bad. I will forward the link Smitty provided as a example.

Riding a motorcycle isn't the safest thing in the world in the best of situations. Riding in a close group cranks the danger level up several notches. Is your lane-wandering friend really able to control his bike? Inexperienced riders are often hesitant to really lean a bike and therefore are all over the place in a curve. In a group ride every rider is very dependent on each others ability to maintain position and interval. Each rider must pay close attention to the riders ahead and not be daydreaming or everyone in the group is at risk. You would all be better off to spread out verus riding in a disorganized cluster.

The staggered column riding formation developed as a way to let a group ride with the greatest safety. The staggering allows the column to be more compact while keeping enough separation between riders in each track for stopping or evasion. The more compact column (hopefully) tends to keep cage drivers from trying to squeeze in. But it all depends on each rider being enough in control of his bike to remain in a single track.

I was riding home on the freeway last week when I was passed by a pair of motor officers from the local PD. They had their bikes side-by-side in a single lane and it was like they were on rails. I used to ride that way with a fellow graduate of a police motor officer class. It is incredible fun but man does it take practice and a huge amount of mutual trust. You don't need to go that far but maybe you could get your friends to make this trip into a learning experience where all of you practice staggered formation riding? Approached in the right way it would be fun and all of you would come back better riders. Bragging rights for who has the best control of their machine. Just a thought.

John

I . I will say something prior to this trip. Trouble is, they have never really understood the whole thing. Road captain, staggered, MC rules excedera.

If you are bringing it to their attention and they fail to re-think the safety value.........I wouldn't ride with them. If they don't value their safety,,why should they be concerned about yours.

I guess that's the problem with not riding with someone other than once a year, you can't get a good feel for their habits. Tell him to take the lead, that way you can keep your eyes on him.

I don't ride with (weavers) period. I would talk to the group you ride with not the guy. As a group force him to ride the rear untill he learns to hold his lane. If the group you ride with won't do it find another group. To many people think they can use whatever part of the lanes they want and unlike MC's riding clubs don't usually enforce pack riding rules. Your not over reacting these people are dangerous to you and everyone they ride with. put em in the rear to minimize their stupidity damage or refuse to ride with them.. sorry for the rant but this is a real pet peave for me.

Back