free website stats program Spray water trick | Harley Davidson Forums

Spray water trick

marknett

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My 96 sporty 1200 seems to miss fire more than I would consider normal . i;ve got new plugs ,iridium .and have checked for intake leaks and found none . My plug wires are accels and seem to be in good shape . After reading on these forums , It seems carbon build up on top of piston can cause some mis fire issues . I;ve read about pulling breather and spraying water in intake while running to break up the carbon . What are your opinions on this ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems carbon build up on top of piston can cause some mis fire issues .

There were some good threads about the water misting trick a while back. A search may dig them out.

But I have never seen a build-up of carbon cause a true engine misfire. My guess is your misfire is being caused by some other reason. Tell us more about the type of miss-fire.

After reading on these forums , It seems carbon build up on top of piston can cause some mis fire issues . I;ve read about pulling breather and spraying water in intake while running to break up the carbon . What are your opinions on this ?

If I posted my opinion about spraying water into the intake (bike running or not) I'm afraid I would be banned for life from this forum, and I really like it here, so I'll keep my opinions to myself for a change.
:s

I would think that you would also be experiencing detention also. This was a trick used in the old days to clean carbon from combustion chamber. But that was in the leaded gas days. Glazier has made a very good point with out saying anything as to the detriment of doing this. I would spray the water on plugs, wires and around coils to see if you can duplicate misfire. Not spray it into combustion chamber through breather.

I'll throw a wrench in here....

Nothing wrong with a water stream into the intake while keeping the RPM's up to prevent stalling. Ride it afterwards to remove anything that gets past the rings.

Park the bike with the rear facing a wall and watch what comes out the pipes.

Carbon build up can cause a misfire if excessive from say a rich mixture or excessive oil mist in the air cleaner but more than likely there is another problem causing the miss. With excessive carbon buildup the compression ratio increases .

Removing Carbon - Harley Davidson Community

I'll throw a wrench in here....

Nothing wrong with a water stream into the intake while keeping the RPM's up to prevent stalling. Ride it afterwards to remove anything that gets past the rings.

Park the bike with the rear facing a wall and watch what comes out the pipes.

Carbon build up can cause a misfire if excessive from say a rich mixture or excessive oil mist in the air cleaner but more than likely there is another problem causing the miss. With excessive carbon buildup the compression ratio increases .

Removing Carbon - Harley Davidson Community

WOW...Learned something new today...

WOW...Learned something new today...

You and me both. Good thing I kept my big mouth shut before, or not only would I have been banned, but also felt very foolish. Ok, now I might even have to give it a try. :sd

I would not make a special spark plug fitting you could hook a garden hose up to.

I think that would be a bit excessive. A spray misting bottle would work just fine on straight stream and you can run an ounce or so of water through without a problem.

Heavy carbon deposits will cause pinging and run on. The carbon will increase the compression ratio and create heat that will cause the engine to run on (dieseling) when you shut the engine down.
Ken

Back