free website stats program Sportsters problems? | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportsters problems?

mcszot

Hi guys,

Im waiting on my lovely IRON 883, recently I spoke with one of my friend (Sportster owner) and he told me that:
first of all they dont like cold weather which in UK we have more or less often,
and that the often problem is gear box (1st gear) which is expensive do fixed.

Is that true ? Im worry because I will ride on daily basis and if I have to fixed gear box every year it make me very concern.

I will appreciate any respond.

Cheers
Al

his sporty is 2001 reg so I hope 2010 Iron will be much better ......isnt it ?

thanks for prompt respond.
Al

explains the cold weather issues its got a CARB, the FI bike wont suffer the same issues, whilst he is sat at the side of the road waiting for carb to de-ice you will be riding by.

CARB Icing
this is more or less how it sounds, the microscopic water vapour in the carb and moisture in the fuel turns to ICE as you are riding the wind chill and sub zero or just above temps cause it to block up the jets and jam the slide meaning as you come to a stop at lights the bike will cut out, the latent heat as you sit at the lights will cause the ice particles to melt allowing you to start up and carry on, HD sell a product specifically designed to stop this issue as it adds a small amount of alcohol to the fuel stopping the moisture/water freezing

Thanks Hbbit,
you are star!!!

thanks

AL
PS

I found on youtube guy was showing Iron which he bought in June and was produce in June - means that they started production or what ?
any idea?

I have a 93 sportster and wife had a 94 sportster haven't had any 1st gear problems with them
Ive never had carb icing with them either but they are both reluctant to start when the temp is low i use a gas blow lamp on the cylinders for 2 Min's to thaw them out then they start fine
both bikes are stage 1 which helps the air flow and reduces the carb icing
my softail was almost unusable from Jan to April due to carb icing till i
replaced the carb with a mikuni

the efi bikes should be much better starters and runners in cold weather as the system monitors all the relevant temps and adjusts the fuel mixture accordingly

Brian

Sportster model year 2007 and up all are fuel injected and the cold damp weather should be no issue at all. As for the transmission, my Nighster shifts just fine and I have 6000+ miles on it.

Jake

I've got a '98 xlh1200 (carb, 5-spd) with something over 40K miles on it. I live in Chicago IL. I run synthetic oil. I have never had a carb icing issue. I have never had a first gear issue. I have never had a problem starting the bike when it's cold. I've ridden when its been near zero degrees fahrenheit. (God bless windshields and full-face helmets.)

jzink1200

7500+ miles on my 08 1200 C. If it wasn't raining/freezing rain/snow when I left for work, it was ridden. No probs with the tranny. Let it warm up a couple of minutes before you ride, and use the lower gears. Keep the rpms up as much as possible to get it completely warmed up on the ride. This helps to burn off any condensation that might build up inside the motor. Tracy

They have the same name, lineage and displacement, but your buddies bike and your new iron are two completely different animals.

Your iron is fuel injected...as others have said this makes all the difference in the world. The gearbox is really solid, the ride is much smoother due to the rubber mounting, etc, etc.

I'd bet your friend is going to be shopping for a new ride really soon after you take delivery of yours

I have a Iron 883 2009

and the alarm not arm, when turn de Ignition switch OFF

but if I turn de Engine switch ON ( with ignition switch off)
then the alarm ARM

I dont know how change to this mode (if exist)

how back to normal mode ???

thanks in advance

MD

Back