Sportster to Fatboy?

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by airplaneb777, Mar 27, 2010.

1. airplaneb777

airplaneb777 Member

I bought my first Harley last year, a 1200 Sportster Custom and I absolutely love it, the more i love it the more that I want to ride longer distances. I am looking at moving up to a bigger bike that would be more comfortable on long rides. My friend is wanting me to get a Road Glide like his, but I test rode one and really didn't like the feel of it. I test rode a Fatboy and loved the feel of it, does anyone have any idea if I buy a Fatboy will it be comfortable on long rides. I am 6 ft tall and weigh about 195 if that helps at all.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
  2. airplaneb777

airplaneb777 Member

What kind of seat did you have on the FB?
  3. airplaneb777

airplaneb777 Member

Great, thanks for the input.
  4. hdrocks

hdrocks Active Member

I did exactly that, upgraded from Sportster 1200C to 2010 Fat Boy Low. But I can't really say much about how it is on long distance rides since I have not done it. The stock seat seems comfortable, and I love the feel of it when I ride. It seems people who do a lot of long distances tend to go with baggers. I think Fat Boy can also be comfortable in long distance rides but can also handle pretty well with rides around the town, which I tend to do more.
  5. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Sure you can go long distances on a Fatboy. But if you're planning on doing any serious touring, then do yourself a favor and get a touring model.
  6. Davidw2415

Davidw2415 Senior Member

I have an 06 fatboy and have ridden 150 to 200 miles per day several times and I'm just under 6 ft and way 175 I set very comfortable on the bike. Although the stock seat wasn't to bad upgrading to a Sundowner seat added many more mile of comfort. That being said, I rented a rRoadking when I was in Vegas last year and it was a much more comfortable ride than my Fatboy so if you are planning on a lot of really long rides i would go with a Roadking or one of the other touring bikes and if you plan on doing only an occasional long ride put mostly shorter rides a FB would probably serve you well. But before you make a decision you should test ride or maybe do a day long rental of each.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
  7. Adamal47

Adamal47 Active Member

I'm just curious about when you say long rides. In your opinion how long is a long ride? Only you can decide if your comfortable or not but I have a heritage also and I think it's pretty comfortable.
  8. ugocon

ugocon Active Member

First of all, a 1200C can go everywhere two up: just need to do some mods (seat, suspensions, windshield, saddlebags, etc...).
    It will cost less than buying a new HD and you can ride even more than the minimum threshold of 600 miles by Hobbit! :s

But this is, let's say, technical: the problem you have is... you want to change your bike! :)

That's simply the emotional attitude one has when dealing with bikes.

The suggestion I give to all who are approaching the HD world for the first time is: if you just slightly think to use the bike two up for long (or "not-so-long", according to Hobbit) rides, make an effort and go for the big twin and don't consider the Sportster.

I say this with a sigh, because the Sportster is a great bike: I had it but needed to change after few months.

Regarding what to get... it's personal taste: like said above in other posts, test some and choose.

If money is a problem, I think that a Super Glide Custom with bags and windshield won't be very far from an Heritage or a Fat Boy and you can save a lot of money!:s

But, once again: getting a bike is an emotion, heart driven more than wise.

9. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

ugocon stole my thunder...that's what I get for sleeping in today.:s

Seriously though, might want to simply add some "creature comforts" to your Sporty & save a few $$$. You could start w/a seat ug (Mustang, Corbin, etc.) which really helps for longer rides. Also, the 1200C leans you a bit forward so maybe puttin on a set of pullback bars and windshield to keep the bugs & upper body fatigue at bay. Overall you're looking at ~$800 - 900 for riding upgrades, or if you're set on the FB - not a bad 2nd "high cost" option. Good luck!
  10. buck484

buck484 Active Member Contributor

Just my opinion but I have had a Sportster and traded to a Fatboy. I loved the Sporty and miss the sheer thrill I would get when in the twisties. The girlfriend wanted to go along, more and more, so I went with the Fatboy. I now love the Fatboy not as much fun on the curves but rides real nice. I take 500-600 mi. rides and feel just fine. Both these bikes and the baggers also do the same thing, they put a smile on your face and get you up in the morning. Just find one you like and ride.