free website stats program Sportster to Fatboy? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster to Fatboy?

Hi Air, Just thought i would offer my opinion on my fatboy, its a great dual purpose scoot ,not to heavy in the city ,but just right on the highway. Did 4000+ miles on it last summer with gear etc, No probs at all! Ride hard and good luck with your choice

I have 35,000 miles on my 2007 Fatboy...longest ride in one day 650 miles. Longest trip 4,000 miles and average a little over 10,000 a year. Great bike.! My wife rides her own Softail Deluxe so two up I can not help you with that. If I could a new Street Glide would be in my garage but until then my Fatboy goes anywhere I want and very comfortable. My bike has been custom painted and then had a LePera seat made to match my color scheme and 500+ miles in a day is normal in the summer for us.

I am going to Vegas the first week of June and I have a Fatboy rented, so I will see how much I like it.

Do yourself a favor and rent a SG for a weekend too. Plan a trip and use it the way it's intended. If your impression remains from the intial test ride you had, then the decision should be easier.

If you're looking for people to tell you the FB is a good touring bike, you'll get plenty. However, you'll find favorable input from several riders that their bike makes for an excellent touring bike also. Including Sporty owners.

In a perfect world, you could keep the sporty and add a touring model.

Keep us posted and good luck.

I got to say, I think people are really spoiled rotten!

Bikers used to ride all over the place without air shocks, trunks, windshields, radios, etc.

I see some of the baggers and think why not just get a small car, that way you get air conditioning, and they don't fall over.

I did a 9000 mile trip on a 1979 Triumph Bonneville, camping out the entire month, I had a small tent, sleeping bag, duffel bag with clothes, and a tool sack, I also had a small tank bag for maps, camera, cassette player (remember them?). No saddle bags or luggage rack, it was all on top of the tail light and rear seat.

I had a great time, campgrounds were cheap, they all had showers, laundry, pool, and a store.
700 mile days were not unusual, I rode from South Jersey to Seattle, down the west coast to San Diego, back on rt 40 to the blue ridge parkway/skyline drive and home.
I got roasted, I got wet, I got cold, but it was not bad at all.

Brett

Brett, the key here is managing comfort level and experience with you and your pillion partner expectations. Problem solving is more than two dimensional yes and no answers. That is why there are so many ways to accomplish on the road survival.

Like you, I like the minimalist approach, and it is not for everyone. As Boy Scouts we learned to take a "bath" out of a Sierra Cup...not EVEN sensible these days. And those who know what minimalist would really laugh at "civilian" camping techniques. Don't be too harsh...we all share the common goal of "smiles per mile", whether it be the ride to the destination or the enjoyment at the destination, the possibilities are endless.

Back