free website stats program Speedometer and Odometer not working | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Speedometer and Odometer not working

Hey guys,

Yes it was the cable, when I took it off I found 2 chunks....hehehehe I found someone in Sao Paulo city that "restore" it, I'll have a try before ask a new one in the dealer which by the way, it is TERRIBLE down here, they don`t have info, parts, the people are so obnoxious ... well, lets see...

Brian, any idea why I snapped it? hehehehehehe I'm curious and also, I'd like to avoid it in the future.

Best Wishes and ride safe.

MB

Probably the most overlooked part of servicing is the lubrication of the speedo cable. Most bikes never get lubrication there for the life of the cable.

Probably the most overlooked part of servicing is the lubrication of the speedo cable. Most bikes never get lubrication there for the life of the cable.

Absolutely! And it is so easy to do. Just take loose on the top end of the cable and using a spray lube, squirt in the lubricant until it is flowing out of the drive unit. Can't hurt it. Just keep the excess from getting on the brake rotor.

TQ

even with good care and attention the cable will eventually give in and snap
regular lubing of the inner cable is important to extend the life of the cable
the inner can be eased out from the top
i have never had one go on me on a harley but the wife has killed the speedo cable on both her bikes so perhaps caused by not going fast enough

Brian

I have had a few twist off on my little bike ('91 Dyna). Don't know why, since it is just driving the speedo and counter. Stuff happens, as they say!!

TQ

Back