free website stats program Softail Fuel Gauge Always Reads Full | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Softail Fuel Gauge Always Reads Full

I merged the resolution of the fuel gauge issue with the original thread asking for help. Might as well keep them in one spot to help the next person with the same issue.....

I merged the resolution of the fuel gauge issue with the original thread asking for help. Might as well keep them in one spot to help the next person with the same issue.....

And I edited the thread title back to something close to the original - again in an effort to help future members find the thread using the search function.

I watched a video on youtube showing a fireman working on a bike (changing fuel filter). I don't know what year he was working on and if mine is the same. On his post it says this is not for Softails. I found some info in my manual but its clear as mud! I'm not sure mine is the articulating assembly. according to my manual it sounds like it's two piece. There telling e to reach in and separate the two pieces. Ill be out in the garage today playing to see if I can figure this out....Any more info will be great. Another site a guy told me to cut off old gasket, new gasket will carefully stretch around top plate. Not sure if that's true or not. I'm gonna check out that option. If not I need to figure out how this entire assembly comes out.

I would be concerned with stretching for how does it get smaller to properly seal opening.

I cut off the old gasket. The new gasket is rubber not your normal Harley gasket material. The new gasket went around the top plate with no issues at all. I put in all 10 new screws and torqued them to spec. Everything is looking good and seems to be working proper. When I turn on my switch the fuel light in the cluster comes on and the Kuryakyn gauge flashes empty! Looks like I'm good to go. Thanks for the help folks.:newsmile071:

Back