free website stats program Softail Fuel Gauge Always Reads Full | Harley Davidson Forums

Softail Fuel Gauge Always Reads Full

Hello all, I'm new to this site so I'm probably gonna bring up an old topic but I don't know how to search for it. I recently put a Kuryakyn Informer gas gauge on my bike, all went well. Few weeks later I decided i wanted 12.5 apes so off I went. all went well. My only issue is after everything is back together the fuel gauge reads full all the time. I have been told if i shook my tank around when it was off I possibly could have jammed up the fuel float. Well I did! I turned it upside down left right and all kinds ways trying to get all the fuel out. I cannot find anywhere on the net that explains what to do to check this. Has anyone ever heard of this? If so what did you do to fix this? Some other guys have told me just go in and nudge the float and it should fall and keep working. But they really haven't explained how to do this! If there is somewhere on this site I can research please help me find it! My gauge has always worked well and I never had a problem in 4 years. However I'm told this is a common Harley problem. Thanks for the help....
I contacted Harley and Kuryakyn. I have a fuel light in my speedo cluster that is also not working. With both not working we (Harley and I and multiple mechanic friends) believe its something else. I turned to Google where I found the info about a sticking fuel float. I returned the call to multiple stealerships in the area. They all agree and all asked if I turned the tank over. They all have told me if I turned the tank over and didn't keep it straight that the fuel float rises to the top and gets stuck. I guess there is a hump inside the tank. The Harley tolerances were made for when the float is below this hump, this area being the "full" reading when you fill your tank. Because I turned it over the float is so light I've been told it goes above the hump and will not return to its original state. If you Google it you will see there have been issues in 2003-2009 softails. I am looking for someone who has been in the fuel pump cluster or has had the same issue I'm having. I am curios to know if it is just a matter of lifting the lid and tapping the float back down? Or does something need to be bent or adjusted? I can't find anything threw Harley or Google on how to do this. Just a bunch of posts and sites saying that it needs done......Just looking for some help.

Re: Fuel Gauge

Looks like Bernie has you covered, most likely that's the problem. Just thinking outside the box, you said the issue started after changing to apes. Is it possible you pinched/shorted a wire while doing the install? Electrical issues can be a real headache.

Very well could be possible! After talking with the duds (not dudes!) at Harley and Kuryakyn we seem to be drawn toward the sticky float thing. Everything else is working great after bar install. Harley also told me if it was shorted when I flick my "run" switch my fuel injectors would not work properly. Weather that's true or not I can't argue because I don't know! The bike fires and runs great. All signals, horn and headlights work. That's what I know. I have also been told to OHM out the fuel sender when I have it open. If the OHM resisting works then its the float, If the OHM doesn't work then I better start looking elsewhere! I have also raised the tank and tried wiggling all the wires I worked, still no change. even tried wiggling the tank to see if I could get it un-lodged no luck there! Guess I'll start somewhere and work from there. Called Harley they want $43.00 for 10 screws and one gasket...What a joke!

More then likely it's the float but I just wanted to throw the wire issue at ya. Strange things happen when we start to tinker with these things. Keep at it and you'll get it figured out.:s

I posted earlier about my fuel gauge reading full after working on my bike. I purchased the gasket and screws and was able to pop the plate off tonight. I lifted the plate about 1/2 inch. I was able to take a long slim screwdriver and barely nudge the float. I returned everything to proper position, plugged everything back in, switched it on and everything is reading accurate. I don't understand how the mechanism under the plate works. I know I need to engage or dis-engage something with a screw driver. I cannot find anything in my Harley manual (I never can). Does anyone have any info on where I'm supposed to push on down there? I need to get it out to replace the gasket. Pics would be great if possible. If not pics, please over explain! I don't wanna cause any more issues. Thanks....

Maybe I'm confused...maybe there is no spring mechanism on a 2004??

Last edited by a moderator:
If you were thinking about reusing the screws put it together and see what happens. It is a bit involved to remove assembly to install new gasket.

I found something on 9.14-9.28 in my manual but its clear as mud on a cloudy day! Help!!!!

I can not down load video from you tube to here.
Search for fuel pump Harley EFi. There is a button to push on assembly to let assembly articulate allowing to be able to pull assembly out of tank.

Back