free website stats program socket or wrench for brake disc pins. | Harley Davidson Forums

socket or wrench for brake disc pins.

soulshaker

I can't seem to find a socket for my 2004 ultra classic's brake pad pins. I was told that it takes a 1/4" 12 pt. socket, but the socket wall is too thick to fit over bolt. ( not enough space between bolt and caliper ) Is it a 12pt 1/4" bolt or does it take a special wrench? If it is 1/4" where can I find a thin wall socket? Thanks !

the pins dont have a allen head? the caliper mounting bolts on my 08 are 12 point but the pad pins are a allen wrench

Not possitive on that one.What I am sure of is not all tool providers/bolt manufacturers are perfect.I am fortunate enough to have been in the automotive field long enough to have aquired virtualy every basic hand tool imaginable.
That said most all open/box wrenches are 12 point on the box end side.If youre in the 1/4" area you may try a 6mm or 7mm box wrench or even a 6.3mm{yes crazy but on all Fords}.

Thanks, I have tries a 6 and 7 mm. but socket wall is too thick. I've tried all my local auto parts stores and haven't had any luck. I guess I'll try grinding down a socket or box end wrench.

no, it's a 12 point screw no socket head.

Stop what youre doing.Ive had an issue like this before.I have over 50grand in tools in my box at work and have tried to build up a second box at home over the years.One day trying to service my front brakes at home with my made in China 10mm 12point socket I just about had to replace the entire front end out of frustraition.

My guess is you "no offense" got a cheep socket set.Call your dealer to verify the size and go to sears and get it.In my case after fighting with that bolt, a quik trip to work revealed the Snap on socket fit like a glove.

Whatyardwork may now have answered this, but would still like to float my question as I'm struggling with same issue, and don’t know if there may have been bolt/caliper changes since whatyardwork’s experience.

Could these be Torx? E-4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 10. - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
Was considering buying these on speculation. Are there any variation or further specs regarding Torx sockets?

It seems the mount bolts and bridge bolts are the same size and type. Hopefully same on front and rear brakes. Does Craftsman have these small sizes in 12 pt sockets? Couldn’t find that. Buying one or two snapon sockets may be doable; beyond that would quickly put it out of my snack bracket.

Thanks, I have tries a 6 and 7 mm. but socket wall is too thick. I've tried all my local auto parts stores and haven't had any luck. I guess I'll try grinding down a socket or box end wrench.

Craftsman sockets in 12 point are thin wall broached and work great...sometimes because they are thin they crack...but lifetime guarantee saves the day! :lero Oh yeah!!!

Last edited:
Back