free website stats program So after my first 500 miles with a harley impressions/questions | Harley Davidson Forums

So after my first 500 miles with a harley impressions/questions

DeadeyeTom

So overall I love the bike. Had some master cylinder leak issues around lid. Caused some paint to come loose around lid. Dealer took care of it replaced lid with a new one. So far so good. Now the bike as far as I know is stock with 8000miles on it now. Seems to me its running a little lean as I am hear some decel pops in the exhaust . I don't know since Harley big vtwins are new to me but I would'nt think it should be popping with a stock system/exhaust. It's not horrible, I heard much worse on other hogs, I used to laugh about it if fact. Seems alot of riders just throw on some loud pipes and never tune them to match. I spent 300.00 + on my old honda shadow to get it matched to my V&H pipes and it never deceled popped. Also it seems to hunt around when crusing less the 40mph, alot of the streets here are 25 mph, and I notice it more around that speed.
So should I take it back to the dealer for a looksee or should I expect this with stock pipes on my 2007 FLSTN. Then whats the first reasonable mod should I do that would'nt void the 900.00+warranty thats good till this time next year. Other the using better and the right kind of oils. Sorry I'm such a noob.
:small3d012:

Last edited:
So overall I love the bike. Had some master cylinder leak issues around lid. Caused some paint to come loose around lid. Dealer took care of it replaced lid with a new one. So far so good. Now the bike as far as I know is stock with 8000miles on it now. Seems to me its running a little lean as I am hear some decel pops in the exhaust . I don't know since Harley big vtwins are new to me but I would'nt think it should be popping with a stock system/exhaust. It's not horrible, I heard much worse on other hogs, I used to laugh about it if fact. Seems alot of riders just throw on some loud pipes and never tune them to match. I spent 300.00 + on my old honda shadow to get it matched to my V&H pipes and it never deceled popped. Also it seems to hunt around when crusing less the 40mph, alot of the streets here are 25 mph, and I notice it more around that speed.
So should I take it back to the dealer for a looksee or should I expect this with stock pipes on my 2007 FLSTN. Then whats the first reasonable mod should I do that would'nt void the 900.00+warranty thats good till this time next year. Other the using better and the right kind of oils. Sorry I'm such a noob.
:small3d012:

No problem heer that is why we are all here. If you are not comfortable with the way the bike is running, take it back and make them fix it. Dont let them tell u they all do it, that is not good enough:s Ask about the Torque smoothing up load see if it has been done

Last edited by a moderator:
Should it have been done Capt'n What is it for . noob again

How long/mile should stock mufflers last, would they be burned out at 8000??
Bike seems to run good at higher speeds and with power on.

Smooths out the vibrations and idle, mine slipped thru the cracks glad I got it done It is Free if it has not been done, call your dealer with your VIN:s

How long/mile should stock mufflers last, would they be burned out at 8000??
Bike seems to run good at higher speeds and with power on.

Dont know that one maybe some one else will chime in, I change my exhaust and trade or sell@ 58 K:s

I sent the dealer an email about the issues will see what they say .

I would like to get a little louder exhaust but sound like a small can of worms with fuel injection. Since it seems these run lean already stock. Also I'm not as familar with these systems. Carbs I can handle, but I like the fuel injection idea. I like the torque so I really don't want to give that up for top end power I will probably never use. So I'm not sure yet what pipes and systems I could use especially since I have that warranty to worry about voiding.

Deadeyetom...thank you for your riding impressions. So far I think your performance and expectations are on track...and likely correct for bone stock bike. Having a bit of popping on decel, sadly seems to be something our posters talk about all the time...do you think you can change the tuning with slipons and perhaps a fueler...LIKELY, as the Techlusions TFI does have easily changed user adjustments that can adapt fuel mixture to match whatever mufflers or air cleaner combination you choose to fit. Certainly not a bad thing to do...of course your bike will not grenade if you just sit back and enjoy the ride. Isn't America nice, we have choices...!:D

Deadeyetom...thank you for your riding impressions. So far I think your performance and expectations are on track...and likely correct for bone stock bike. Having a bit of popping on decel, sadly seems to be something our posters talk about all the time...do you think you can change the tuning with slipons and perhaps a fueler...LIKELY, as the Techlusions TFI does have easily changed user adjustments that can adapt fuel mixture to match whatever mufflers or air cleaner combination you choose to fit. Certainly not a bad thing to do...of course your bike will not grenade if you just sit back and enjoy the ride. Isn't America nice, we have choices...!:D

I read something about getting false codes (narrow band injectors likey the cause) with TFI is that true. Would that void my warranty?

I have been reading self help till my eyes are bleeding and my head is going to pop. lol

Okay heres the dealer response on the lean issue:
"You're right, the bikes do run lean right from the factory. You could do a full exhaust system, and we re-tune the entire bike for you. If that is something you're interested in, give us or VVHD a call and we can get a quote together for you."

On the torque smoothing download:
"I ran the VIN# for the bike and your bike wasn't effected by the "torque smoothing." There are no known mods done to the bike that I'm aware of. It's your call if you'd want to bring the bike in to be looked at. If that is something you want to do just to be safe, call Dan at 715-582-**** at VVHD and see when he can take a look at it for you. And again, that can all be done at our store in Peshtigo."

Okay heres the dealer response on the lean issue:
"You're right, the bikes do run lean right from the factory. You could do a full exhaust system, and we re-tune the entire bike for you. If that is something you're interested in, give us or VVHD a call and we can get a quote together for you."

On the torque smoothing download:
"I ran the VIN# for the bike and your bike wasn't effected by the "torque smoothing." There are no known mods done to the bike that I'm aware of. It's your call if you'd want to bring the bike in to be looked at. If that is something you want to do just to be safe, call Dan at 715-582-**** at VVHD and see when he can take a look at it for you. And again, that can all be done at our store in Peshtigo."

My understanding is some bikes did not get this download per The PDI, it made a huge change on my 07 STREETBOB, Jack:D

Pre Delivery Inspection it should be done to all bikes that arrive at the dealer from the factory before they are sold to a member of the public just to ensure everything is ok

Brian

Back