free website stats program Slight Transmission Whine | Harley Davidson Forums

Slight Transmission Whine

aspybay

Have an 09 FLHTCU (38K) and have noticed over the past several months a slight whine in the transmission but only when stopped and in neutral. Once first gear is engaged it disappears. I have been using H-D Synthetic Oil since birth but a bud has suggested switching to Aimsoil.. Anyone out there with similar symptoms?? Comments??? Thanx in advance...Aspybay

I'd strongly suggest REDLINE ShockProof Heavy (mayonnaise - catsup color) OR light weight ShockProof (blue-green in color) IF in a very COLD Climate...

Noise will usually be gone... SMILE

signed....BUBBIE

Added: MANY here use the Redline ShockProof GEAR OIL and are VERY HAPPY With It...

I put Redline Shock Proof in my old 06 Road Glide and the trans was noticeably quieter and shifted smoother. It looks like Pep to Bismol.

I took my 08 Roadking in for a warranty repair (leaky gasket) and when I got it back it made a whining noise in neutral. The noise goes away when I put it in gear. I rode it a while thinking the noise would go away but it never did.

I eventually took it to my independent mechanic, whom I trust way more than the MOCO guys, and he said it was nothing to worry about. I now have over 113,000 mi. on the bike and have not had any problem with the tranny or anything else (except 3 compensater sliders and shaft extenders).

I did use Amsoil at the time my noise started, but have since started using HD tranny fluid. I have always used Amsoil in the engine though.

I have a buddy with the same noise on a 2010 and he put heavier gear oil in the tranny and quieted it down. I am used to the noise now and will stick with the stock tranny fluid.

I second to BUBBIE!!! Don't wait! Go and get REDLINE! Once you get them and you will tell others to get REDLINE! BUBBIE told me and now I am telling you! :bigsmiley12:

GOOD Point Bodeen...

I would take off the Derby cover and use a Long screwdriver and Use it to Press UP on the chain in the middle of the top center between engine and clutch (spring-loaded) and it should have about 3/4 inch movement UNDER Pressure.
IF Not, It may have ratcheted up one notch too much and yes IF too tight it may make the Whine...

Totally have to take off the outer primary cover to RE-adjust the ratchet assembly to a looser setting... It will self-adjust when together and running...

There have been some bikes that have tightened too much when you twist the throttle enough and drop the clutch out.....:newsmile055:

signed....BUBBIE

Just a comment, the primary chain continues to run anytime the engine is running. If the noise goes away when the tranny is in gear while the primary chain is still going, I don't understand why the chain might be the culprit. Something stops spinning when the clutch is disengaged and the tranny dropped in gear and that would be the transmission input shaft.

Just a comment, the primary chain continues to run anytime the engine is running. If the noise goes away when the tranny is in gear while the primary chain is still going, I don't understand why the chain might be the culprit. Something stops spinning when the clutch is disengaged and the tranny dropped in gear and that would be the transmission input shaft.

GOOD Point btsom....... Now no need to remove the outer primary Now OR the derby cover...

It Probably IS from the Tranny.....:bigsmiley20: OR Is It?

signed....BUBBIE

Back