free website stats program Slight Transmission Whine | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Slight Transmission Whine

Three different oil cavities and two hold so little. (Tranny and primary).
I use oils recommended/designed for engine, tranny and primary.
Doesn't take much but I find it funny how some riders are "saving" money by using oils not designed for the specific purpose. What, a buck or two in their $20,000+ bikes and then they go cheap?
Do what you like but I'm happy with oils designed/recommended for the job intended.
Gears are tough on oil and gear oil has a few extras in them that I want.
Never had any noise from my transmission. Been using Spectro 6-speed oil from the first oil change.

same problem on my 09 flhtcu approx 38k miles. proved to be the main shaft bearing in the transmission. hope this helps.

Thanx folks...sorry for the slow acknowledgement but just back from a 700 mile ride to Sedona after switching to BelRay Gear Saver on the recommendation of an Independent Garage in the Tucson area. Seems to be a little quieter. Will keep monitoring it and perhaps pull the primary when I get home this spring. Again thanx for the posts. Ride Safe!!

Put bike on a lift and get the wheels off the ground with bike attached to lift start bike up and put in first gear. Slowly let clutch out while standing on kickstand side of bike, I bet the noise you will hear is like mudder tires on a truck. Also find a hill that you can coast down with some speed, and bike not running and see if noise can be duplicated. Then probably the inner primary bearing is pitted and bad to the tune of approx. $500.00 at HD dealer. Don't ask how I know..........:nosad

I can't explain why you got that whine, but I'll bet you can fix it with Spectro 6-speed transmission oil. They advertise that it reduces gear noise. When HD first introduced their 6-speed, a lot of riders complained it was too loud. It's A.P.I. GL-5 rated.

I used Spectro 6-speed transmission oil after I got a ticket for being too loud from the city police. The Highway Patrol cleared my ticket when I showed them a decibel reader on my iPhone. Most guys were saying I needed to put stock pipes on to pass the vehicle check, but using Spectro was easier and cheaper.

:44:

Back