free website stats program Should you pay more than book value for a Harley? | Harley Davidson Forums

Should you pay more than book value for a Harley?

Wild1

I see an 09 Dyna I like online at a Harley dealer which looks stock with good tires with 13,600 miles. It looks to be in excellent condition. They're asking $9120 which is I think about $1,400? more than book value. I might pay $200-$300 over book? Thank you.

If it were me I would be reluctant to pay that much over book value, lots of nice scoots out there to choose from at pretty decent prices.

You may want to inquire why they think it's worth that much over book value. JMHO.

Where you live makes a difference. Snowbound people are ready to get outdoors, and it's a sellers market right now in those areas. In the ride all year area's it's a buyers market. Of course, dealers ask more because they have the traffic passing through. Harleys are being reduced on Craigslist in my area all the time. Note: C.L. , like Ebay is a fair gauge of what people are willing to pay private sellers, not dealers.

It always makes me laugh, if you trade a bike at the dealership and the bike has lots of add on chrome and accessories that you added the'll tell you that it doesn't add value but when they go to sell it that's the first thing they point out. Bunch of clowns!

I would not personally, at least in general. However, being a woman, if there was a bike I really wanted for whatever reason or if I lived in an area where bikes are harder to get, I might consider it. But if it was just a bike more or less, with nothing outstanding about it, like a custom paint job or whatever, I would shop around on craigslist, eBay or similar sites and wait for the bike I wanted to pop up.

Given the state of sales for Harley's from dealers (very depressed) I would make them an offer below the book value and see if they go for it. I would never go higher.

Your not sayin if it's a plain Jane FXD or a wide glide,there's a couple grand difference between the Dyna's.Also are you talkin trade value or retail,as far as book?there's about 4 grand difference there.Obviously you wanna get as close to trade(wholesale) value as you can.

Back