free website stats program Should you pay more than book value for a Harley? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Should you pay more than book value for a Harley?

jamesearl and Bodeen have you covered here. You can bet the dealer gave no more than trade value for the bike. Your negotiation should start a little below that number and you should already know your walk away figure. Like everyone has already said there are a lot of nice rides out there. Happy hunting.

Your not sayin if it's a plain Jane FXD or a wide glide,there's a couple grand difference between the Dyna's.Also are you talkin trade value or retail,as far as book?there's about 4 grand difference there.Obviously you wanna get as close to trade(wholesale) value as you can.
The bike is a 2009 Dyna Superglide (looks stock) with solid rims and new tires with 13,600 miles. They are asking $9120 which is about $1,400? above retail book value.

The bike is a 2009 Dyna Superglide (looks stock) with solid rims and new tires with 13,600 miles. They are asking $9120 which is about $1,400? above retail book value.
That's a bike they probably took in for around 5500.00.And they are trying to make the usual 4 grand mark up on it.A salesman selling that for the asking price will have made a home run.I'd offer about 6500,they have to make some profit on any bike.A lot of times they won't get serious,till they know you are willing to bolt.

That's a bike they probably took in for around 5500.00.And they are trying to make the usual 4 grand mark up on it.A salesman selling that for the asking price will have made a home run.I'd offer about 6500,they have to make some profit on any bike.A lot of times they won't get serious,till they know you are willing to bolt.
It's gotten even worse for me because I have a bike to trade in, and the salesman has lowballed his trade in offer on my bike which only has 2,251 miles and is in mint condition.

Well that all depends on what your trading in.I had a 125cc Kawasaki years ago.It cost about 2500.A year later with 5k on it,I was having trouble getting 500 for it.I like HD because they hold some value.For example that 2009 your looking at had a list price between 11 to 12 grand,I know because I had a 2009 Super glide custom,which was a grand more than the reg.superglide.BUT here we are 9 years later,and the reg superglide still fetches 5500 trade.Try that on a Kaw,ain't gonna happen.Remember if you want to buy the 2009 for wholesale,your gonna get wholesale for yours.The only time I couldn't put a deal together was when somebody wanted retail for their trade,and wholesale for their new purchase.Funny thing is,if you both get retail,or you both get wholesale,the cash difference will be the same.

It's gotten even worse for me because I have a bike to trade in, and the salesman has lowballed his trade in offer on my bike which only has 2,251 miles and is in mint condition.

Like I said before don't walk away run away, you'll do much better if you sell yours to a private party.
If your dead set on this particular scoot make a final offer that your comfortable with and if you trade stick to your guns on what you want for yours.
If they won't budge then it wasn't meant to be, say good bye and walk away. There's to many nice bikes out there to pay that much over retail. JMHO.

There are some advantages to trading in.If you owe more than the bikes actual cash value,you can't sell privately,but can still trade.The market is saturated with people tryin to get retail for their bike,mainly because they found out it's value,and want to do what you suggest.Also you pay less tax,because you only get taxed on the cash difference.I,for one would never invite strangers to my home to sell a bike,now they know what you have in your garage.Of course I live in a burb of Chicago soooo......You can also get a host of bored people who just wanna talk bikes and all that ilk.Don't get me wrong,ideally it's best to sell to a private party,and you shouldn't trade before you are even as far as amount owed and value of bike,but people do it everyday.And it can take weeks months or years before you find a buyer,at a dealer,they take it when your ready.I know everyone hates dealers.Mainly because they have to make profit,and everyone thinks if anybody makes a dime off you,your getting ripped off.I am more realistic,if dealers weren't making a profit,they wouldn't be there to sell you your Harley.

What are you trading,and what if anything,do you owe on it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that all depends on what your trading in.I had a 125cc Kawasaki years ago.It cost about 2500.A year later with 5k on it,I was having trouble getting 500 for it.I like HD because they hold some value.For example that 2009 your looking at had a list price between 11 to 12 grand,I know because I had a 2009 Super glide custom,which was a grand more than the reg.superglide.BUT here we are 9 years later,and the reg superglide still fetches 5500 trade.Try that on a Kaw,ain't gonna happen.Remember if you want to buy the 2009 for wholesale,your gonna get wholesale for yours.The only time I couldn't put a deal together was when somebody wanted retail for their trade,and wholesale for their new purchase.Funny thing is,if you both get retail,or you both get wholesale,the cash difference will be the same.
The 2009 Dyna Superglide I'm interested in is the silver model with the "Harley Davidson" signature on the gas tank. It's probably my favourite Harley model. I also like the solid rims instead of spokes. But I'm not getting too excited yet because I haven't seen it yet in person. You said that you had a 2009 Super Glide Custom. Was it a good bike? Is there any cons to the bike?

As far as doing the deal they say "Cash is king." doesn't apply anymore because the salesman makes more financing? What are your thoughts on that?

My FXDC was a great bike,put 30k on it in 2 years,zero problems.They cost a thousand more than FXD when new, and you got a ton of chrome,tank mounted speedo,lot's of other extras for the $.The FXD was too much like the sporty I traded it in on.Like the speedo was on the bars.Cash won't make yer salesman more money,but a finance mgr. who can add points to yer loan can make money that way.Make sure you know what rate you qualify for.Folks don't realize that when you get a loan from a bank,the bank pays the dealer up front,and trusts you to make the payments.So the dealer gets the money right away,just like cash,they aren't waiting on the money.My dealer has 1.9 financing till the end of the month now,you can't beat that.But of course,you need great credit to qualify.I would never pay cash when you can get 1.9,because my money makes me more than 1.9 where it's invested,so why deplete yourself of that much cash,keep it working for you.Are they still tryin to steal the trade?

Last edited:
Back