free website stats program Should I continue using oil pressure gauge?? | Harley Davidson Forums

Should I continue using oil pressure gauge??

ron1978

i was rideing my 2005 rk when me and friend went to hd shop, after about 1 hr. we came out to get on bikes and i saw big puddle of oil under my bike, so i freaked, stuck my hand into it and it was clear oil, at first i told him it ain't mine so i climbed on it and left, about 3 miles home i got off at house to realize it was my oil, but it was coming from oil pressure gauge , the little rubber stopper in the gauge came out and covered the motor and paint with oil, so are these thing trust worthy or not?? alot of people tell me to take it off due to problems like this and etc. it was a add-on when i bought it, its mounted to the rockerbox, and its harley davidson brand.
opinions please??

The gauge is most likely filled with glycerin. This fluid stops the gauge from bouncing around by absorbing the vibrations. The gauge is most likely ok but you should replace it.
kemo

I've got an Arlen Ness unit mounted on my 94 FLSTC and I wouldn't be without it. You can't know too much about what is going on in your engine.

well looks like i shall replace it, but since were talikn about it the hd brand gauge says made in tawain on it, will and oil filled gauge work to replace it?? found tons on ebay for 20-25 bucks

Yes the oil filled gauge will work. Make sure of the thread size, most likely, 1/8" thread
kemo

I have an "Accel" brand liquid filled, oil press. ga. on my Dyna. 15+ years, no problem.

Last edited:
Yes I would use a gauge......But not the Harley Gauge......there not accurate at all ,I have 2 of them and they both read something different....and a freind has one also and his reads something again different from what my 2 read......so I'll be install a new Auotmeter gauge as soon as I pick it up .....Part # 2173 I believe should fit the harley bracket nicely.....

well looks like i shall replace it, but since were talikn about it the hd brand gauge says made in tawain on it, will and oil filled gauge work to replace it?? found tons on ebay for 20-25 bucks
Ron - Taiwan is just one of the countrys manufacturing parts for the motor company - Look at the label in their leather jackets and on the back of their belt buckles - many of their branded products are from overseas and many brake and front end parts also. The list of foreign suppliers is a long one......

Last edited:
well i went to hd shop wanting to know about the 2 year warranty i took out on it, they told me that no add-ons weather i did it or last owener did it, but NO add-ons would be covered under warranty, stock parts only, and he added the oil gauge added to a 2005 twin 88 motor was a waste and a weak link in the system, so instead of buying another $85.00 gauge there i took it off and put a $2.50 brass 1/8" plug in the tee that was added in for the gauge, hard times and i didn't have $85.oo laying around and friday night at dealeship is Bike night,so i had to get it going again, thanks for your input

Back