free website stats program Should I continue using oil pressure gauge?? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Should I continue using oil pressure gauge??

Ron - I understand your position with the dealership, but you are setting yourself for problems. If nothing else, install an oil pressure sensor and hook it up to your oil pressure light.

If necessary, send me your address and I will mail you an oil pressure sensor for free. I would hate to see your engine damaged just to prove a point. You can express your displeasure with the dealership by taking your business elsewhere.

Ron - I understand your position with the dealership, but you are setting yourself for problems. If nothing else, install an oil pressure sensor and hook it up to your oil pressure light.

If necessary, send me your address and I will mail you an oil pressure sensor for free. I would hate to see your engine damaged just to prove a point. You can express your displeasure with the dealership by taking your business elsewhere.

Now that is class,I like the way you all take care of each other:s

You might see if you can find a plug that fits on e-bay or an instrument shop (fairly common). They might even fix it for you for a box of donuts. Just add glycerine and the plug and you're back in business.
WAP.gif

Ron - Taiwan is just one of the countrys manufacturing parts for the motor company - Look at the label in their leather jackets and on the back of their belt buckles - many of their branded products are from overseas and many brake and front end parts also. The list of foreign suppliers is a long one......

Surely the GREAT AMERICAN MOTORCYLE COMPANY wouldn't use foriegn parts!:newsmile100:

I too continue to be impressed with the help the membership is ready to offer each other.
Would this be HD Oil Pressure Gauge Kit 75133-99? I was looking at adding this as well. While I like simplicity (reason for RK) a tach, voltmeter and oil pressure gauge would be nice. I did assume the oil light on the dash would remain functionally, or not? Very interesting.

I had a similar problem with oil filled gauges mounted to the rocker boxes on my 02 Fatboy a few years ago. They weren't oil pressure gauges, but they were for my legends air suspension. I came to the conclusion both gauges failed due to the heat since they were attached essentially to the engine. I didn't replace the last one, but it was just checking air in my shocks. Not something as vital oil pressure. Hope you find a solution.

I had the same problem with the gauge on my Heritage, the HD rubber plugs are too thin to seal properly. I went to a parts supply store, bought a decent pressure gauge, took the rubber plug out of it and put it in the HD gauge. Problem solved.

I had the same problem with the gauge on my Heritage, the HD rubber plugs are too thin to seal properly. I went to a parts supply store, bought a decent pressure gauge, took the rubber plug out of it and put it in the HD gauge. Problem solved.

You can buy glycerine (glycerol) at a pharmacy or a Rite Aid. We use glycerine filled gauges all the time in the manufacturing area where I work. Due to the heat, the "brand new" guages develop leaks as the glycerine expands. It unseats the plug and leaks out. Most of the plugs are a single use item and they are cheaply made to begin with. If you choose to refill the old gauge, don't fill it up all the way. Leave an air bubble. All you need is enough glycerine to stop the needle from bouncing around. That is its only purpose: to "average out" the readings. (On some of the steam gauges we use, the glycerine turns brown over time as it carmelizes, but it still works well.)

As far as accuracy, if you know you have the appropriate pressure now, simply use the gauge as a reference mark. Low or high from where you are now means something is up and you should investigate.

This may be a nice compromise between not having a gauge at all and buying a new one. A small bottle of glycerine is less than $3. A replacement plug should be less than a $1. If you don't put too much glycerine back in (expansion), you can seal the plug hole with just about anything. I can't think of a reason why you couldn't permanantly seal the how with something.

I too continue to be impressed with the help the membership is ready to offer each other.
Would this be HD Oil Pressure Gauge Kit 75133-99? I was looking at adding this as well. While I like simplicity (reason for RK) a tach, voltmeter and oil pressure gauge would be nice. I did assume the oil light on the dash would remain functionally, or not? Very interesting.
PigSnot - You can run this oil pressure gauge AND your oil pressure light but you need to add a "t" or "y" fitting. Oil line fittings are 3/8ths pipe thread and use teflon tape on the threads.

This gauge also fits S&S Super Stock, Evo Style motors - The rocker box covers have the same bolt spacing as an HD TC (one of the "differences" they had to have to avoid patent infringement).

Back