free website stats program Shorter pipes to stop scraping? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Shorter pipes to stop scraping?

I have similar issues with my Fat Bob. The bike can clearly handle much better than the ground clearance allows. Why does Harley make all their bikes so (EDIT) low? I guess it looks cool but kills the lean angle. Best options are change out the rear shocks for taller ones, get a 2 into 1 exhaust that allows more clearance and use little stiffer oil in front shocks.

Please read and understand the info in this link below...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

If I were to change shocks from stock with the end result being more ground clearance, what shock should I consider?

Progressive shocks are one of the top recommended and...you can see how much movement your bike has by having a friend sit on your scoot & stand/sit a few times. Watch the rear/pipe/shock movement - you'll be suprised at how much flexing & traveling is happening...which is even more w/gravitational force in a curve. I say shocks + proper setting will work best for your situation...good luck & ride safe!

Watch the route of the pipes, 2 into 1 may help but watch the route on the front. I'm also surprised you don't say anything about scraping the pegs. On my Bob I scraped the pegs a good bit before the exhaust started scraping (Thunderheader, known issue for scraping cause they route both the pipes around towards the front). Not sure what type of pegs you have or if you have forward controls too, but also consider that.

It sounds like it is more towards the back for your pipes so most likely the shocks should help you out, but then once that is fixed you'll have to watch the front end.

Crank the preload on your rear shocks up a bit. You may be surprised how much it helps. I had the same problem on my FXRS until I adjusted my suspension. The original owner had them set as soft as they would go. Centrifugal force compresses the suspension in the corners, lowering the bike considerably. I also added about 5/8" spacers to my forks to increase the preload in them and I am running about half an ounce extra fork oil to help with front end dive. No more scraping.

I had the same problem. I just raised the shocks a couple of notches and it cured the problem. now I can lean all I want

Back