free website stats program Shorter pipes to stop scraping? | Harley Davidson Forums

Shorter pipes to stop scraping?

danthern

hi everyone....2010 FXDC with Rush 1.75 slip ons. Love the sound and performance but I ride in the Blue Ridge Mtns every chance I get (just completed a tour of the BRP and Skyline Drive, Cherohala Skyway and north Ga mts)and I'm scaping the pipes pretty badly, so much that the bolt that holds the baffle on the lower pipe is partly sheared away. I know that there are better bikes for canyon carving but I'm pretty fond of this one. My questions is, would a set of shorter slip-ons (ie V&H short shots) be a better choice to remedy a situation like this?

hi everyone....2010 FXDC with Rush 1.75 slip ons. Love the sound and performance but I ride in the Blue Ridge Mtns every chance I get (just completed a tour of the BRP and Skyline Drive, Cherohala Skyway and north Ga mts)and I'm scaping the pipes pretty badly, so much that the bolt that holds the baffle on the lower pipe is partly sheared away. I know that there are better bikes for canyon carving but I'm pretty fond of this one. My questions is, would a set of shorter slip-ons (ie V&H short shots) be a better choice to remedy a situation like this?

That may give you cause to lean TOO much and put u at risk JMO Be safe, May try smaller diameter slip ons?

That may give you cause to lean TOO much and put u at risk JMO Be safe, May try smaller diameter slip ons?

I have a 2012 FXDC, and no, you are not leaning it too much, unless you ride like my momma. I found preloading the suspension more helped a lot without a bad ride.
If you have not tried it, preload one more at a time.

Moved the nuts holding the stock pipe, and now it rarely hits the lower black mount, but only in turns that are not perfectly flat. Now my peg gives me warning before the pipes.

Check to see if your clearance is less than stock for a starting point.

It's a sweet handling bike, but Harley should have designed it to turn as well right as it does left.

Hi Danthern - I can relate!! My 2011 FXDC scraped the same nut off the stock pipe. It didn't affect the exhaust stability at all, but I changed them out asap. WIth the Stage one upgrade, I put on Vance & Hines 3"slip-ons, and made sure there was nothing (Nuts etc..) underneath the pipe. I then took on the Port Alice road (a village on north Vancouver Island Canada) again and scraped my left peg over & over, but the pipes stayed off the pavement. I love my FXDC - just a personal thing, so I don't want to ride anything else on these chalenging roads.

thanks for all the feedback. I haven't adjusted the suspension, that seems to be the logical next step. I thought about a 2 into 1 as well but I think I like the looks of the 2 pipes and I'm not sure that i'd have more clearance anyway. I'll give an adjustment to the suspension first because as I said, very happy with these slip-ons.

Hi Danthern - I can relate!! My 2011 FXDC scraped the same nut off the stock pipe. It didn't affect the exhaust stability at all, but I changed them out asap. WIth the Stage one upgrade, I put on Vance & Hines 3"slip-ons, and made sure there was nothing (Nuts etc..) underneath the pipe. I then took on the Port Alice road (a village on north Vancouver Island Canada) again and scraped my left peg over & over, but the pipes stayed off the pavement. I love my FXDC - just a personal thing, so I don't want to ride anything else on these chalenging roads.

Joe, which V&H slip ons did you go with?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the short shots staggered on my 05 sporty and I scrape, so I don't think it will solve it completly

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Vance & Hines Twin slash 3 inch slip ons
google up - Vance & Hines TWIN SLASH 3" SLIP-ONS 16837
Product ID : 16837
Mind - I still may scrape the pipes, I just haven't tried hard enough latley

Vance & Hines Twin slash 3 inch slip ons
google up - Vance & Hines TWIN SLASH 3" SLIP-ONS 16837
Product ID : 16837
Mind - I still may scrape the pipes, I just haven't tried hard enough latley

Thanks for the info....I'm don't mind the pipes rubbing a bit. There's just not enough clearance the way it is. I was in a pretty tight twistie the other day and they were dragging so hard I almost couldn't make the curve. It was dangerous because it WOULDN'T lean enough...I rarely scrape the peg on the left, so it's not like I'm severely laying it over (much)...I'll stiffen up the suspension for sure and take a look at those V&Hs. Thanks again!

Back