free website stats program Shifter Linkage Repair | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Shifter Linkage Repair

Harley sells very nice Heim joints and the correct bolts for each end's arms also for about $20. Tok the parts guy a while to find them, I guess they come from the factory on some other models or he had to look for Harley shift rod upgrades. I also used my old rod between the joints. I changed mine at about 30,000 miles as preventive maintenance after reading other threads like this one. Much better than the ball joints.

Part numbers?

Jennmarr, the part number request is quite reasonable. Unfortunately, that was at least 3 or 4 years ago and I have no idea if I even have the paperwork anymore. If I had it, I would be happy to provide the numbers. That would save you and your parts guy lots of time.

Jennmarr, the part number request is quite reasonable. Unfortunately, that was at least 3 or 4 years ago and I have no idea if I even have the paperwork anymore. If I had it, I would be happy to provide the numbers. That would save you and your parts guy lots of time.

Thanks anyway. :)

I think that I'll take Jack's advice on this one ,the first time I took his advice I saved a few thousand dollars .You see ,I have well water and it leaves rusty stains on every thing it touches .We were about to replace the bathroom fixtures and the kitchen sink ,when screwylouie posted about bar keepers friend cleaning aluminum ,then Jack posted that he used it in his house ,and that is when it became my job cleaning the bathroom ,the wife just tells me to get my stuff and clean the bathroom .As much as I don't like cleaning ,thanks Jack I read all of your post and I know you save many others a lot of time and money .This one could save a life .

This happened to me 3 years ago, plastic tie wraps got me home too! Then went to the stealer and bought one of their upgraded HD replacements. Upgraded means they have much more robust ends that won't fail like the stock ones. I'm sure the Motor co knows the stock design is weak, but they can't help themselves, they know they'll sell you the upgraded one that should have been installed from day one.

Back