free website stats program Shift Linkage Rod!! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Shift Linkage Rod!!

Earlier this summer I purchased a 2006 Electra Glide Classic. I have always noticed a little rattle/vibration in the engine area. I narrowed it down to the shift linkage rod having a little vibration/rattle in it. It appears the original one was swapped out for an upgrade that says HD on it. Is there something I can do to get rid of this? Another question I have is (my bike came with a 2005 manual) I changed the transmission oil & put in 24 ounces of oil. It seems to be OK on the dipstick. Is this the correct amount?
I had the same rattle. There is a rubber spacer on mine at the front of the rod and I tightened the rod till it fit snug against the rubber spacer. Still shifts good and no rattle.

Turn the radio up, the noise always goes away when you do that. :bigsmiley20::bigsmiley20::bigsmiley20:

Seriously, I agree with the previous post. Check the bushing for the toe shifter. Try tightening the toe shifter, if that doesn/t work change the bushing.

Good Luck!!! :rider

Clarification on my earlier post;

my rattle was coming from the tie rod ends of the shift linkage rod which seemed somewhat loose in the ball & socket part of the tie rods. I put a few drops of removable loctite in there which work to take up some of the play.

I agree with others to check for any loose hardware first.

Those ball joints are high failure items, numerous posters have reported having to tie the rod back together to get home. Harley sells Heim joints which will fit the shift rod. They are less prone to rattle and seem to last much longer than the original hardware.

Harley has gone CHEAP on the linkage ends, they dry up crack lose the lube and start to wobble. The best thing to do is replace with heim joints IMO, my dyna shifter linkage failed twice, I have since replaced it with stainless heim joints and aint lookin back:D

Harley has gone CHEAP on the linkage ends, they dry up crack lose the lube and start to wobble. The best thing to do is replace with heim joints IMO, my dyna shifter linkage failed twice, I have since replaced it with stainless heim joints and aint lookin back:D

I completely agree with what Jack has said here.

I had one of the cheap HD links let go on me while riding on the highway. So bike in 5th or 6th gear, and NO shift possible without reaching down and manually shifting the tranny lever while still holding the clutch? Not happening.

Luckily I was just about at an exit that had a CVS (drug store like Walgreens) along the feeder. Exited and coasted into the parking lot. Bought a picture hanging kit that included some picture wire that I used to hold the shifter rod to the tranny shift lever enough to limp back home. I immediately swapped out the ends on the rod for Heim joints.

TQ

The OP says the shifter was replaced with an upgraded one..If that is the case it should already have the Heim joints on it.. The wave washers like Jack said should work because they will apply gentle pressure to the joint and take up the slop.. Fastenal has all different sizes..should be a cheap fix.

Back