free website stats program Shift Linkage Rod!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Shift Linkage Rod!!

wolfie44

Earlier this summer I purchased a 2006 Electra Glide Classic. I have always noticed a little rattle/vibration in the engine area. I narrowed it down to the shift linkage rod having a little vibration/rattle in it. It appears the original one was swapped out for an upgrade that says HD on it. Is there something I can do to get rid of this? Another question I have is (my bike came with a 2005 manual) I changed the transmission oil & put in 24 ounces of oil. It seems to be OK on the dipstick. Is this the correct amount?

I believe 20-22 oz. would be correct for the tranny. When you check the level screw the dip stick in and have the bike straight up and level. As far as the play in the shifter rod you might try the following.Disconnect the rod at the tranny side.Check to to see how much play,movement you have on the lever coming up from the tranny,without trying to shift it.You are checking to see if there is excess movement of the lever on the shaft that attaches coming out of the tranny. There should be very little movement. If there is a lot then chances are the lever splines are worn out and need replacement.If that's the case check the archives for some ideas on that.
tourbox

Welcome to the forum!

I had the same rattle you did, was driving me nuts. Not sure if this is the best fix but I wiped clean each end and put a drop or two of blue (removable) loctite on. It could still move but it took up some space there. Besides that link doesnt really pivot too much.

My 03 RK with 5 speed trans takes 20-24 oz. Bike straight up when checking.

Like stated by tourbox check for the movement at the arm coming from the trans. and make sure the pinch bolt at the bottom of the arm is tight. It is hard to get to but you can cut an allen wrench down and with a little patience it can be done. If it is tight and does move follow the instructions in the self help section.

I had the same issue as well, had the arm off the tranny replaces due to excessive movement. Mine was covered under the extended coverage plan, problem solved.

Aren't you suppose to check the level on the dip stick with bike upright and dip stick resting on the threads not screwed in.

Mike

Not related to posted topic, but op asked 2 questions, relative to checking transmission lube my 2009 service manual says to check with bike leaning on the jiffy stand with dipstick to rest on lip of filler, not screwed in.

The theme here is that you should own the service and owners manual so you know the correct procedure for your ride. Different years, different procedure.

If you are talking about the heal toe shifter rattle, you can add a wave washer behind the shifters to stop the rattle

Back