free website stats program Shift lever not "springing" back | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Shift lever not "springing" back

Went for a ride today and had a problem shifting. When I shifted from one gear to another, the shift lever didn't "spring back" if you know what I mean. This caused a problem when down shifting, when I went down, I would have to move the leaver back up with my toe or I couldn't shift down again. Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?
BTW, I have a 2010 Road King, 5200 miles, all fluids changed about 200 miles ago.
I had the same problem with my -08 Dyna w/18,000 miles.
The shaft that goes into the shifter pawl (assy. no. 29 in drawing) is welded in place and the weld broke. (Possibly the welders in China who make the part are using a stick welder and old coat-hangers). This weld should NEVER break,.

Harley wanted $700 to replace the part.
> $55 to pick up bike. (I thought that the spring might have broken and there might be stray steel floating around in the tranny)
> 5 hours of labor at $112.50/hr. = $565.50
> New pawl, gaskets and fluids = the rest of $700

To replace the cheap-(edit) piece of (edit) part requires removing outer primary, chain drive components, clutch, inner primary, belt pulley and then the transmission. Then re-assemble.

So I did it myself.

A friend with a bike shop told me he would have taken the top off the tranny and spot welded the pawl. Maybe $100?

If the shaft going into the pawl was oval going into an oval hole, the pro0blem would NEVER HAPPEN.

But then the dealer wouldn't get their $700 bucks to replace a designed to break piece of (edit) made in china part.
Then I had to rebuild the forks (more cheap, (edit) parts) and I lost the rear brake because the banjo-bolt-tail light nswitch was leaking brake fluid. (It's Italian)

Apparently, Harley ben David is getting parts from the lowest bidder and is content to make (edit) and let the customer pay to fix it.
So, after 6 Harleys, I'll never bur another one.

not happy

Last edited by a moderator:
stainless_heim_joint_2__26081.1421219190.500.500.JPG

http://www.bungking.com/stainless-heim-joint/

Book marked on our puters, quality product 1/2 the price of HD comes with mounting bolts, your choice of stainless or Chrome

Back