free website stats program Shift lever not "springing" back | Harley Davidson Forums

Shift lever not "springing" back

Went for a ride today and had a problem shifting. When I shifted from one gear to another, the shift lever didn't "spring back" if you know what I mean. This caused a problem when down shifting, when I went down, I would have to move the leaver back up with my toe or I couldn't shift down again. Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?
BTW, I have a 2010 Road King, 5200 miles, all fluids changed about 200 miles ago.

See #20. Also check all the linkage for binding too.

Attachments

• 2010 Tranny.jpg
    2010 Tranny.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 40
You may want to check the shifter arm on the tranny too, it has a tendency to strip out on the shaft and cause shifting issues.

Have you done anything to it recently, such as eliminate the heel-toe shifter? I had this occur also, but it was because everything was sandwiched too tightly, and i had to loosen the connection at the REAR of the shift mechanism (not where the shift arm attaches, but behind that where the shift rod attaches) and loosen it up a hair. No problems since.

If the weight of the shift lever makes it return to center when upshifting, but you must lift the lever for each downshift, spring #20 (shift pawl return )in the diagram Bodeen posted is likely broken. A $4 spring, that requires trans. disassembly to install. Sometimes the broken piece will just lay in the bottom of the case without causing a problem. Other times, it will catch between gears and cause massive damage. This was a big problem in early Evo's, and I thought it was fixed by time Twin Cams were released.

Being it's a 2010 with only 5,200 mi. I would lean towards lubricating the entire shift linkage first. From toe shift to tranny lever. 6 years old and probably didn't get lubed much.
The spring problem was corrected in the the 5 spds., haven't heard of any problems with the 6 spds. They could be there though.
tourbox

Have you done anything to it recently, such as eliminate the heel-toe shifter? I had this occur also, but it was because everything was sandwiched too tightly, and i had to loosen the connection at the REAR of the shift mechanism (not where the shift arm attaches, but behind that where the shift rod attaches) and loosen it up a hair. No problems since.

The only thing I have done recently was change the clutch cable. I've only put about 50 miles on since. When I took if for a test ride after the change (20 miles), it worked great, took it out for another 20/25 miles worked fine. This time is the first time I noticed the problem.

HD10FLHR020.gif

Remove front linkage #17, use the rod can u shift it now? The linkage runs thru the upper part of the primary, the bushings in there could be dry

Back