free website stats program Shaken not stirred!! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Shaken not stirred!!

Not to take anything for granted, you have:
  • Checked the air pressure in front AND rear tires
  • Rotated the front wheel with the tire jacked off the ground and watch for out of round/tire wobble
  • Looked at the tread pattern all the way around to make sure it is uniform
  • Felt the tire all the way around feeling for a bulge
  • Looked at the way the axle was installed to make sure it is as described in manual
  • Looked at the brake pads to make sure there is plenty of meat on them

TQ

Had a similar problem, turned out to be the tread on the tire. After some miles the tread
had started to "cup", could barely notice it by looking at it. Changed the tire and wobble went away. Good luck, hope you find your trouble.

Took the wheel off and brought it to the motorcycle shop I bought it at. They threw it on the balancing machine and it was dead on. He then looked at the tire/wheel spin and said that there was a slight flat spot on the wheel but in his opinion it wasn't that bad. He said he would true the wheel and see if that helps. I mentioned that I heard that Metzeler tires were having problem with their QC and he said that if he has to he'll change the tire and see if he notices a difference. I'm not sure if he'll actually do that but who knows. I'll get the tire back on wednesday.I'll keep you all posted and thanks to everyone who responded.- Bert

I had one balanced one time and the machine was off, it was worse after they balanced it. I took it back and finally they had to have a guy come in and recalibrate their machine. They even put a new tire on it and it was the same. After the guy recalibrated it, I made them put another new one on. Rides great now.
I also had loose neck bearings take me down one time. The wobble just about threw me off the bike, slid about 150 feet on the pavement.

Ouch!! That had to hurt! When I get the tire/wheel back on Wednesday if it's still doing it I'll bring it to my buddys friend who works on bikes, he thinks it could be the neck bearing. I'll let you guys know the outcome and thanks again for everyones help.-Bert

Yep, good thing I had a helmet on, it ground all the snaps off of it along with the buttons on my levi jacket. I walked away from it but had plenty of road rash.

Well guys, finally got my wheel/tire back. They told me my wheel was out of true 60 thousands and that the tolerance is 30 thousands, rebal. the wheel and low and behold no more wobble!!! :)

We had a local guy here in town that had this problem, after the Dealership put new tires on his softail. What they found out was the Dealership put the tries on backwards I believe rotation wise.

Back