free website stats program Shaken not stirred!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Shaken not stirred!!

qbert1963

Hey guys I've got a problem with my 2002 Softail Standard that I can't figure out so I'm thowing my hands in the air and asking for help! Here's the problem when I'm riding at any speed my front end has a wierd shimmy on highway it's dangerously shaking. The tires are new for this season and I've done the fall away a few times and am getting about an inch and a quarter total distance befor tire falls on it's own. Help me out guys, in Ct. this season has Edit and will be over before I know it. Thank you - Bert.

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about the language didn't mean to offend anyone. To answer your question about the tire, no I have not had it rebalanced. Both tires are new for this season and were mounted and balanced when I bought them. Do they get off of balance like that? I'm thinking neck bearing, wheel bearing or maybe the wheel itself needs to be trued. Was kind of hoping someone else has been through the same thing and could lead me in the right direction.

Bert
We have a ZERO language policy on the forum.

You could have thrown a weel weight since they were balanced. It sounds like you have spokes, have you checked them with the wheel off the ground and see if they all have the same "ring" when you tap them with a screwdriver or something. If not they are loose, also check the run out of the rim too.Also have you retoerqued the steering head bearing nut to 70lbs from the 40 or so that was the old factory specks?

Softail Clunking Front End - Harley Davidson Community

As a matter of fact I did retourqed it at 70lbs.( I do use this forum and love all the helpful stuff here) I thought that if you are getting a different sound on spokes you need to have wheel trued?

what about wheel bearings lift the bike and spin the wheels see if they feel ok .. but balance will also cause ya these problems

I have to second the balancing motion. If you problem started after a tire change. Just because it's a new tire, and it was "just" done doesn't mean it was done correctly. A lot people have digital balancer and if it was out of calibration or the guy didn't know what he was doing it could be out of balance.

Have you checked the installation of your front axle?There's a tip somewhere that will advise you the way to ensure your forks are parallel.

did it shake before the tires were changed? iv had dealers change tires and not touch the old wieghts lol ;-) just a thought

Back