free website stats program Setting Timing On An EVO | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Setting Timing On An EVO

Possibly, but popping off idle like when leaving a traffic light from a dead stop usually points to a lean condition due to incorrect jetting and more commonly from intake leaks. It's a common problem I have with my Evo, and usually end up doing intake gaskets once a year or two at most. Everything is clean and lines up well, and I've changed manifolds and flanges with it re-occuring again and again.

Popping when decelerating is usually exhaust leaks at the head pipe and is contrary to a lean condition and is unburnt raw fuel entering the exhaust hot pipe, mixing with a charge of fresh air, usually introduced by the leaking exhaust gasket and ignited to create the pop.

What I strongly feel in your situation is a combination. Intake leak, causing you to have to richen up the mixture alot to get it to run right, coupled with a slight exhaust leak firing off all that extra fuel being thrown at it to combat the lean acceleration cough/pop.

Just my opinion, but a problem i've addressed before myself......many times.:wall

What size is your pilot jet? Have you checked for intake & exhaust leaks?

Back