free website stats program Setting Timing On An EVO | Harley Davidson Forums

Setting Timing On An EVO

what are some telltale signs your timing needs reset or you have a timing problem, I have a 91 heritage with an evo and I think I may have timing issues...thanks manbeast

Backfiring could be caused by the timing being off but it shouldnt go off unless you have been doing something in that area that would cause it to go off

Brian

Hello, I am new to this and need some help. I am installing the cam on my 1993 EVO. With the front piston @ TDC the hash mark on the pinion is around the 5O'clock position. I thought it should be at 12:0'clock so I can time the cam & breather gear. I am LOST. I am also sorry if I did this wrong but I could not figure out how to just post my question from scratch.

Hello, I am new to this and need some help. I am installing the cam on my 1993 EVO. With the front piston @ TDC the hash mark on the pinion is around the 5O'clock position. I thought it should be at 12:0'clock so I can time the cam & breather gear. I am LOST. I am also sorry if I did this wrong but I could not figure out how to just post my question from scratch.

See if this helps:http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/t-25272.html

Don't worry about where the piston is or use the left side timing marks for installation of the cam. Those marks are for ignition timing, not cam timing. That's where some may get confused.

Just put the pinion gear mark in the cam chest at 12:00, slide the cam in and put one of the 2 cam gear marks at 6:00, the second dot on the cam needs to be at around 8:00, lastly install the breather gear and line it's mark with the 8:00 cam dot and that's it.

All 4 marks (1 on breather, 2 on cam, and 1 on pinion) should now be lined up relative to each gear.

i see. is there another selfhelp section that could help me figure out backfiring issues?
I have the same problem. My 80" EVO was backfiring, it would pop somethimes on accel from idle (like at a stoplight) and quite a bit on the decel. In fact I had a backfire that blew out my head gasket.
So I am trying to figure out why. It seemed to idle fine and had plenty of pickup, ran smooth at cruise but had this annoying popping.
Any Help or things to look for?
It looks like that the head gasket may have had a small leak to begin with....(noticed some black smoot on the cylinder head where the gasket blew) is it possible the backfiring was from that?

Back