free website stats program service at non hd shop | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

service at non hd shop

Thanks Hoop for the advice on the bearings. Also the tire price quoted at the indy was for a 150mph rating. I forget the speed rating letter but he said 150mph and I asked for stock dunlops for a HD bike.

I see no mention of spark plugs???? Again I suggest doing the service yourself. When tires are mounted have shop then check neck bearing adjustment.
This might help with the tire ratings, click on the attachment at bottom of page: Harley Davidson Community

Even if you're not going to do the service yourself, it's worth it to get ahold of the actual HD Service Manual so you know EXACTLY what needs to be performed at each service. Don't guess, don't just ask on the internet, know for sure!

Indies will almost always be cheaper than an HD dealership but cost is only part of the equation. Make sure you ask around for references. As far as the warranty, just keep all your receipts and a good log of all service work performed and you should be OK.

I see no mention of spark plugs???? Again I suggest doing the service yourself. When tires are mounted have shop then check neck bearing adjustment.
This might help with the tire ratings, click on the attachment at bottom of page: Harley Davidson Community

I actually put new plugs and an air filter on the bike before my trip to DC for Memorial Day so plugs and filter should be good......I state I'm not too mechanically inclined but just about anyone (including myself) can gap a set of plugs for install and change the air filter so no biggie on that. I used to ride snow machines when I was a kid and the old 2 strokes go through plugs like crazy so I knew how to do that.

I checked the reviews on line and only see one bad review for this place....a guy whining about a $200 deposit when he bought a bike but no neg press about the service department.

Here is the best part and you may think I'm crazy but here is the new quote for tires MOUNTED AND BALANCED from this guy.....

set of front and back K591 dunlops speed rate V load rating 805lbs back and 430 lbs front.......ready......here it is.......$392! HD wants $700 for the exact same tires mounted and balanced! Yeah I made up my mind on this one........

================================================

Oh and thanks everyone for your advice.....expecially on the speed rating and load rating. I actually called the guy back after reading that and asked specifically for that info......he had no problem giving it to me. You guys all helped out alot and I'll be saving about $500 bucks on the service and tires. I'll let you all know how the customer service goes though!

Last edited by a moderator:
From my point of view is that it does not matter where you take your bike for work what does matter is the ability and attention to detail of the guy that is working on your bike

Brian

I used an independent shop last fall for a new rear tire... got a brand new HD logo stock Dunlop for $90 less than the dealer wanted, plus saved about $70 on the installation. And, I watched the guy install the tire. This shop came highly recommended by a friend, and they do a ton of HD service work.

I just don't understand why HD dealers charge so much more than an indy... My local dealer is an older facility too, not one of the fancy places built a few years ago when HD was going gangbusters.

I'm about due for a front tire, and I checked with HD... they want close to $300 for the tire and installation.

I'm about due for a front tire, and I checked with HD... they want close to $300 for the tire and installation.

As long as you pay attention like another poster said.....be sure it is the same tire so comparing apples to apples. I double checked with the indy and it is the EXACT same set of tires the the HD shop quoted. Indy gets $111 for the front HD wants $179? So on the procuct alone I'm saving a ton of $ and all HD wouls say for cost to mount and balance is "the shop rate is $89 an hour". Indy gets $42 per tire mounted and balanced if you buy them from him......he goes to the shop rate only if you bring in your own tire. That actually sounds fair to me cuz he gets some additional profit from the tire sale.

Thanks for the tire info... good to have in the back of my pea brain when the time comes for new rubber.

Now, how do I convince the wife the new scoot won't explode if I change the oil myself??? The dealer gave her the 'have us do any installations and they will be covered (whatever THAT means)' and she went hard over on '100% HD Dealer only service of any kind to the new RK'. Only been working on my own vehicles since I was twelve (other side of 40 years ago), so I have a 'little' experience. I'll let them do the 1,000 mile just to keep peace in the house, but refuse to cough up $89 per hour for an oil change (and yes, I do have the service manual)!
:newsmile093:
Maybe I'll tell her I'll split the cost savings with her...

I'm trying to wrap my brain around why HD gets so much more and a friend of mine said "well......when you go to the HD dealers you get the whole "aura" of the cleanliness and experience of the dealership". Guess that may be true but IMO I don't need Aura and experience.......I just need new tires!

I would definitely research different indys and get reviews.

I know my dealer is ok with warranty work done by yourself or anyone, in fact they never even ask me where or when I did my service. I did overhear them tell one guy that they like to have the 1000 mi service done at a dealer. If they don't have that then it can set off a red flag.

So you should be fine.

Whacko, I did my 10k service on my deuce, you can read about it here.

I Did My 10K Service - Harley Davidson Community

I'm no mechanic by any means, but I can do simple things, and if I feel comfortable with it, I will do things on the bike. It has made me a much better rider since I understand the bike a bit better. :s

We do have an indy shop that we are happy with that we use for the projects that I'm not comfortable taking on myself. I let the indy do the tires, but for my general services, I'm happy tinkering on them myself. I do take my time, take lots of pictures of before, during, & after, (I have had to resort to my pictures on more than one occasion to get something back together), & I keep the computer handy in case I need to search for something on the forum. :s

Back