free website stats program service at non hd shop | Harley Davidson Forums

service at non hd shop

whacko

Here is the deal.....I will need a new set of rubber and a service performed on my bike in about a month. HD dealer gets about $200 for the service and quited me $700 for a set of Dunlops mounted and balanced. I am admittedly not the most mechanically inclined guy around and don't have much in the way of tools to do service and a tire swap myself. There is a local indendant bike dealer that deals mostly new metric bikes but has a heck of a stock of used HD bikes on the lot. He advertises he does HD service.......I assume that if you can do service youself on a bike and stay under warranty then any service shop will keep me in warranty. Anyone have any opinions on taking my bike to an independant shop for routine service.....good idea or bad. The independant shop quoted me $100 saving on the mount and balance alone of new rubber so I suppose he'd be cheeper on the service as well.

The whole thing hinges on YOUR dealer whether anything will void the warranty or not. If you have a decent dealer they will honor the warranty regardless as long as the service was done and done correctly. The bad dealers look for any excuse to get your business ($$$$) so they try intimidation and tell you that if they don't do the service that your warranty will be void.

I kind of figured that would be the case......bottom line is that if you perform the service according to the intervals in the service guide the I should be good no matter who does it.....right? I did not buy my bike from the dealer I have used for service.....I got the bike through military vehicle sales and it delivered there. They have been great at customer service but the prices just seem outragouse.......just exploring some options and seeing what you guys think.

It sounds as if you are at the 1000 mile mark. You can save at least $100.00 if you do the service yourself which is quite easy to do. Your owners manual will give you direction, but to have the shop manual is the way to go and you will have the manual for future reference.
On tires asked Indy if you purchase online would he mount them, and or will he come close to online price for tires. If you use this method you will save alot of $$$$$ for more important things like some more, "BLING":s
After reading your post about tires,10,600 miles, if dealer only charging $200.00 for service that does not sound like a complete service or they are trying to get you in the door then upsell you proper required service for 10,000 miles.

It sounds as if you are at the 1000 mile mark. You can save at least $100.00 if you do the service yourself which is quite easy to do. Your owners manual will give you direction, but to have the shop manual is the way to go and you will have the manual for future reference.
On tires asked Indy if you purchase online would he mount them, and or will he come close to online price for tires. If you use this method you will save alot of $$$$$ for more important things like some more, "BLING":s
After reading your post about tires,10,600 miles, if dealer only charging $200.00 for service that does not sound like a complete service or they are trying to get you in the door then upsell you proper required service for 10,000 miles.

You may be right about the upsell. I actually have performed an extra service based on the manual. did the 1k, the 5k, and had the oil changed before parking it last November with 7,500k on the clock. So I've got 3,000 miles on this oil and needing tires pretty soon.

OK so here it is.....I just called the HD dealer to get a price on the 10k service.....a whopping $441. I asked the rep what is the difference between the 5k and the 10k because the 5k only cost me $198. He put me on hold for about 5 minutes and came back with...."we check all of your "critical components" and check the neck bearing where your 5k was just a service. Really......and extra $240 for that? How many critical components are in an air cooled bike? And I have to add that I brought mine in with about 1200 miles on it because the neck bearing was loose and they performed the fall away test and adjusted it in 30 minutes while I waited.

SOOOOO.....called the indy metric shop and he quoted me $230 to:

change all oil
adjust (not just inspect cuz I asked) drive belt
lube and adjust (not just inspect cuz I asked) all cables
inspect bearings
inspect breaks

A savings of $340 for tires and service at the indy shop

At least the guy ran down the list of what they are actually performing! Can anyone think of anything not on the list at the metric indy shop that would cause me a problem?

As for your tires, make absolutely sure the load rating is "up there". Tire size does not tell the whole story. I would get the highest load rating available in the tire size you want. Sometimes you can get the same tire size but with different load ratings. Be sure to look and calculate your 2 up load.

Also take a close look at your wheel bearings. I would almost go as far as saying change the rear ones while you have the wheel off. My fronts went bad at 10K miles. Off comes the wheel again.

Thanks Hoop for the advice on the bearings. Also the tire price quoted at the indy was for a 150mph rating. I forget the speed rating letter but he said 150mph and I asked for stock dunlops for a HD bike.

The only thing I would suggest is see if you can research the Indy shop's past/current customers. When I first got my bike, I chatted with people about local shops and the reputation/work/cost performed. I wouldn't go for cost saving alone. It's not a fool proof way and some customers are never satisfied but, if you can find some folks that chime in with positive feedback, that can be reassuring that you'll get the service as well as reasonable rates.

Of course, after finding this site, I've met some great folks and even have a good (great) friend that performs any work I need that is close by. But, that just comes with time.

Cheers.

tire price quoted at the indy was for a 150mph rating.

Not the speed rating but the Load rating. Speed is a letter but load rating is a 2 digit number. Such as:
65=639 pounds
73=805 pounds
79=963 pounds.

It is usually grouped with the speed rating as in 79V which would be 149mph with a 963# load rating.
Pounds on the rear tire add up fast when you factor in 2 up and wind resistance shifting weight to rear wheel.

Back