free website stats program SE Download worked perfict! | Harley Davidson Forums

SE Download worked perfict!

lightning

Thought I should share my personal experience and reason for choosing Harley’s Stage 1 Screaming Eagle download.
I bought my 09 Street Glide in November and like most, the first thing I did was change the exhaust. I chose V&H slip-on Ovals; not the Monster Ovals, the original smaller ovals. I wanted to retain reasonable back pressure while adding a little more sound. I held off on doing anything further on the advice of my Dealer who said I should be alright as long as I didn’t change the air filter to a less restricted one. Of course at that point he would recommend a Race Tuner $$$$$$!
I have spent months reading everything I could get my hands on regarding all the different fuel enhancement devices. I’ve talked to two dealership service advisors and a service Tec who is the guru with the Race Tuner and Dyno tuning. It became obvious over time that if you asked 10 people their advice you’d get ten different opinions. It’s not only frustrating but in most cases the advice was tainted and biased by retailers / distributers pushing their product.
About half the people on this Site and every other Harley Site simply want to add slip-ons and free up the air intake and many end up spending 800 to 1,000 dollars on a Power Commander or Race Tuner. This is overkill and a waste of money unless you have modified the engine further by changing cams, displacement, ported heads etc…
Now add to the mix a dozen different add-on devices piggy backing your ECU and it becomes more difficult to decide what to do. They all do about the same thing and are much less expensive, generally around 200 to 300 hundred dollars a don’t require dyno tuning. Just wire it in and find a place to strap on the box. With all the opinions and technical advice from people, anyone should be able to eventually tweak it in to their satisfaction. (Gee what a bargain!)
So after 6 months of tossing around which direction I needed to go I went with some very reliable advice from a co-worker who happened to be one of the finest mechanics from a local HD Shop. He simply told me that all I needed was to take the bike to the dealer and have them do the SE Stage 1 download, $125.00 dollars and a half hour labor, around $250.00 all said and done.
I spent more because I bought the SE Air Cleaner and had them install it at the same time they did the download. I was apprehensive when I went out to start up the bike and take it home, but the end result was surprising! As soon as I hit the starter it fired off and came down to a smother idle then I had before. It also idled at 900 rpm rather than 800 as it often did after being warmed up. As soon as I let the clutch out and road through the parking lot I could tell the jerking parking lot speed was gone. There was no abrupt throttle response from closed throttle to slight opening and the bike was running much better.
So anyone contemplating slip-ons, and air cleaner up grade, save your self the grief and expense and just go get the download and be done with it.
All I can say is it worked great with my 2009 but I can’t comment on earlier models.

So you spent $125, AND a half hour of labor. Man they saw you comin:s did the download come with a box of Vaseline.
Just kidding with ya :D All that matters is YOUR happy.
you could have rode over hear to Coeur d' Alene and got the download for 40 bucks. :p

around $250.00 all said and done

WOW, I agree there that they saw you coming. It should run about $150 in most dealers installed. The download will work but it is still EPA compliant and on the very lean side. For that money you could have gone with a TFI and done a better job IMO.

Sorry to burst your bubble.:s

I agree with Lightning, went through almost the exact same process trying to decide what to do, always ran carbs before so was not an issue. I changed the muffles, breather and went with the stage 1 download and the bike runs great, no issues at all. The mechanic did mention that the 09 downloads are different than previous years.

grumpy 3 , I WENT THE SAME PROCEDURE AS YOU . THE DOWNLOAD IS MADE BY 'DIGITECH' FOR HARLEY, THE TECH ALSO MENTIONED IT WAS FOR 09 MODELS ONLY. OLD/SCHOOL

of course the Downloads are only for the 09's just like the stage one and other downloads for my 08 are only for my 08

I think I will just stick with my TFI.I like having the ability to adjust for myself.

I guess the main thing to remember here is, If YOU are a happy boy, then you got your moneys worth.
There's nore than a dozen different ways to go that will all give the same end result, and I think it winds up being more a case of "personal preference" than anything else.

Lightning...thanks for your post on this. I have been seriously considering the same as you about what to do. I didnt want the overkill of a Super tuner from HD, and the techs at the HD all agree that the download is all I need for my 08 RK. The HD dealership see me coming every time I go in to the shop. But I am not a mechanic and wont trust any of my shad tree mechanic friends to work on it. I like the peace of mind I get from the HD shop. How do you like your Vance & Hines slip-ons? They are what I am considering as well.

Don

Back