free website stats program Safe Touring | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Safe Touring

I have not had any problems with parking the bike at night in Hotel parking lots. Just got back from a nine state tour on the bike and almost every place let us park by the office, if wanted to. Lock it and get a good night sleep.

By the way, the bike has full coverage insurace that is always kept paid in full.

The 08 RG has 28,000 miles on it, if stolen it can be replaced. If I hear it leaving, it could be leaving with some .45 caliber holes in it.

better yet..get a ground floor room and park the bike in the room!!:small3d012:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, like this guy?

3401215770_8005023fc7.jpg

better yet..get a ground floor room and park the bike in the room!!:small3d012:

(EDIT)Yeah, I wanted too on the way to Milwaukee for the 105th, but momma said if the bike was in the room, she wouldn't be. (I then had to decide whether or not to chain her, or the bike to a parking stone:bigsmiley20: ) I deccided it wasn't worth the nagging I'd take for the rest of the trip, so I ran a chain thru both rims and the frame, and under/over a parking stone and locked her (the bike) up.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Lock your bags, I had someone get my frogg toggs one night in NC. There were 8 bikes and someone when through all the high side bags.

Puts an emphasis on covering your bike with generic cover...and cable lock through the grommet...! Also, if you park as a group, it does invite "prying" eyes...

I had the same concerns as you do when I went to visit my beloved New Jersey last year. All of the threads above are correct in there assurances that nothing is going to happen. I mean, there are no guarantees but like they said, if your insurance is paid up, don't worry about it. Enjoy your trip. You'll be fine. I too like the Mom & Pop places where you can practially pull righjt up to the room where you are staying at.

Currently my wife won't camp anymore, so it's motel/hotels. Depending on several factors directs me as to what measures I take. I can remember that I stayed in Sister's Oregon, a very small town. So I locked the bike in front of the police station. figured it would be safe and it was.

Other times, I park and lock it at the motel's front main office chained up with a Cobra secured to anything solid. (once to the front end of a truck!) or as mentioned right next to the door of the room I'm staying in. I always request a bottom floor. I always cover it up with a plain cover. Once I was in Sacramento and started chatting with a Gold Wing guy, asked if I could lock my bike to his and he was more than happy to agree allowing both of us to sleep, or at least me! I was leaving a bit earlier. So, as mentioned, depending on the situation, be creative for it sure can't hurt. I am insured by Colt, but that's not what it's for. The bike is over insured, so if they want it that bad, they can have it. :D
Ugly John

life is too short. If you worry too much it will ruin your trip. If you have security and park it close to your door, then sleep well. Take all your items inside, cover it and relax. If it goes beyond that, it could happen in your garage as well. Not worth worrying about and chances are slim anything will happen as long as you are staying at a decent place. I actually park right in front of the 24 hr lobby when do-able. They are usually more than willing to allow it. Bottom line is I hate thiefs. Nothin but bottom feeders.

When I know I'm going to be staying in a hotel, I usually look for the hotels that have parking right in front of the room. I carry a roll of sting and tie it to the bike and then to my arm, so if someone moves the bike, it pulls my arm and I wake up and grab the Smith & wesson.....only kidding, I couldn't resist. I do stay at the hotels where the bike is just outside the front door, and some hotels have even suggested that I could park the bike under the overhang if it was bad weather. I have found that many hotels are becoming more bike friendly than they were 10 years ago

Pretty much the same story as the rest of the folks. My wife and I travel for two to four weeks at a time and always cover and lock the bike at night. Take everything out of the bags and lock them. I do carry a disk lock and a cable lock that I usually put on just to make something else an eaiser target.

Back