free website stats program S & S Easy Start Cams | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

S & S Easy Start Cams

Had the Hybrid cam chain tensioner upgrade, 95" bore, and the 583's installed in my carbed 03 Wide Glide. Still doing break-in on mine too. Sounds and feels strong! Think i'm gonna like these cams. They do have weird specs tho.

Had 585 easy start cams installed in FXSTSSE in 2010. Its a CVO with a 110 CI motor. Several issues: first, I blew gaskets almost every 1000 miles. I didn't have any head work done and had clearance issues. Eventually had to replace all of upper end and re-tool the heads. Had to replace cam bearing which fell apart. Then I got really bad rattle, thought it was the lifters again. My understanding is the cams are spring loaded, but when they were removed, neither cam had any springs and the metal piece was floating loose. Then my mechanic said to me it was a mistake to install EZ start in the CVO since it already had pressure release valves... this bike is a friggin' beast when its running right, which hasn't been often.

Had 585 easy start cams installed in FXSTSSE in 2010. Its a CVO with a 110 CI motor. Several issues: first, I blew gaskets almost every 1000 miles. I didn't have any head work done and had clearance issues. Eventually had to replace all of upper end and re-tool the heads. Had to replace cam bearing which fell apart. Then I got really bad rattle, thought it was the lifters again. My understanding is the cams are spring loaded, but when they were removed, neither cam had any springs and the metal piece was floating loose. Then my mechanic said to me it was a mistake to install EZ start in the CVO since it already had pressure release valves... this bike is a friggin' beast when its running right, which hasn't been often.

I see no correlation between the 585 cams and head gasket problems. 585's are good for 10:5-1 C.R., Your 2010 heads/valve springs are good to 590" lift.
The cam bearings should have been replaced with full complement bearings at time of new cams install. Automatic compression releases and EZ start cams compliment each other. As for the missing cam springs, I can't offer anything, but centrifugal force closes the EZ start mechanism around idle speed, with or without springs.

Sounds like you are complaining about a faulty install and not the cams themselves.

Take no offense to this but I talked to tech at s&s cycle and he said do not use easy start cams with auto comp. release.

No reason to install EZ start cams with auto CRs. The only problem I have with the EZ starts is one cannot accurately check compression or leak down without going to the extra step of collapsing/removing pushrods to eliminate the valve train from the process.

The other thing I don't like, although there have been limited cases, is that there is another moving piece in the cam chest that can go rogue. Same reason I won't use adjustable pushrods unless absolutely necessary.:coffee

Back