free website stats program S & S Easy Start Cams | Harley Davidson Forums

S & S Easy Start Cams

biscuit

Stumbled across these recently while wandering around cyberspace.

What caught my attention initially was the perfect-for-me torque curve of their "583 Midrange Cam.As i've mentioned in some other post,all my riding is 3000 rpm and lower,and these look great.(on paper at any rate)

Then there's the Easy Start bit.Backed up with a video demonstration of it's capabilities.Fact or fiction?
Does anybody have any actual knowledge of the performance of these relatively mild cams?Anyone with a set fitted or a mate with a set?

The torque performance is what i'm after;anything else is a bonus.

Many thanks for any help.

Just watched the video, was very interesting. Anyone want to explain how they do that cuz those cams got my attention.

Hey I had the new EZ Start 551 Cams from S&S installed last week with my conversion to gear drives. I just wanted give you brief overview. My bike is still 95", with MMFI, power commander, AN Big sucker and 04 CVO Pipes. I went the the 551's not so much for the ez start feature as for the cam grind and the gear drive. They are a blast and are everything they are advertised to be. They are "on" from idle until 4500 rpm (that's as high as I have rev'd it) making 2 up riding a blast, and just riding in general a lot more fun. My twin cam now sounds like my EVO used to gear drive wise, but for me, that's better than the cam chain tensioner debacle. 65-75 roll on's a breeze and at 80 I still have big chunk left. The stock 203's were ok but these 551 really are enjoyable. So if your looking, you won't be disappointed!

This is what I posted over at cvoharley.com... I dig these cams! 583 may be a better choice for a bigger motor.

Hey I had the new EZ Start 551 Cams from S&S installed last week with my conversion to gear drives. I just wanted give you brief overview. My bike is still 95", with MMFI, power commander, AN Big sucker and 04 CVO Pipes. I went the the 551's not so much for the ez start feature as for the cam grind and the gear drive. They are a blast and are everything they are advertised to be. They are "on" from idle until 4500 rpm (that's as high as I have rev'd it) making 2 up riding a blast, and just riding in general a lot more fun. My twin cam now sounds like my EVO used to gear drive wise, but for me, that's better than the cam chain tensioner debacle. 65-75 roll on's a breeze and at 80 I still have big chunk left. The stock 203's were ok but these 551 really are enjoyable. So if your looking, you won't be disappointed!

This is what I posted over at cvoharley.com... I dig these cams! 583 may be a better choice for a bigger motor.

Jammerx,thanks Man!From a purely selfish point of view,it's good that you like them so much.Just about given up on a reply.:)

I emailed S&S in the U.S and they actually recommended the 551's for my riding style.I've pretty much decided to take their advice as these cams come in nice and low,and stay exactly where i want it.I've looked at charts and read tests and comments and instructions and directions until my head hurts.It's time for action now and i'm grateful for your knowledge and input.

As an aside,how have you found the starting with the compression release function?Does that work as advertised?Anything that gives the starter and electrical system an easier life must be applauded.

Again,thanks for your time and effort with your response
Regards.

One person a while back, asking a question about "his bike would not get off the line unless slipping the clutch to get it going... Asking WHY?

Finding He Had JUST installed these types of cams.

the only thing I thought it would have been at the time, was the cams not allowing the Bump on the back of the cams to lower to the normal setting at his RPM Idle range he needed, so the compression release would not go OFF. early enough to get his bike going..

Food for thought as I have no Axe to grind / Nor the Need for the easy spins if not on a BIG engine.... Just more that could go wrong..

Hobbit answered a PM to me saying about the same thing,,,, Use only IF on a high compression Big motor..

As Smitty901 says "Your ride You decide" I think it is a Right Quote this time.

signed....BUBBIE

Jammerx,thanks Man!From a purely selfish point of view,it's good that you like them so much.Just about given up on a reply.:)

I emailed S&S in the U.S and they actually recommended the 551's for my riding style.I've pretty much decided to take their advice as these cams come in nice and low,and stay exactly where i want it.I've looked at charts and read tests and comments and instructions and directions until my head hurts.It's time for action now and i'm grateful for your knowledge and input.

As an aside,how have you found the starting with the compression release function?Does that work as advertised?Anything that gives the starter and electrical system an easier life must be applauded.

Again,thanks for your time and effort with your response
Regards.

I think the starting with the compression release works as advertised. It does make an audible click, but other than that, you wouldn't know they are there. I haven't had any issues. None. Starts EASY... LOL!! Every time. No problems what so ever.

One person a while back, asking a question about "his bike would not get off the line unless slipping the clutch to get it going... Asking WHY?

Finding He Had JUST installed these types of cams.

the only thing I thought it would have been at the time, was the cams not allowing the Bump on the back of the cams to lower to the normal setting at his RPM Idle range he needed, so the compression release would not go OFF. early enough to get his bike going..

Food for thought as I have no Axe to grind / Nor the Need for the easy spins if not on a BIG engine.... Just more that could go wrong..

Hobbit answered a PM to me saying about the same thing,,,, Use only IF on a high compression Big motor..

As Smitty901 says "Your ride You decide" I think it is a Right Quote this time.

signed....BUBBIE

I think IF and this is a big IF, you had a problem your bike wouldn't run. You wouldn't have to worry about off the line, cause you wouldn't have any compression. It wouldn't run. So I believe this to be MISINFORMATION.

Another timely post.We picked up our bikes today.I put the 551's into my Deluxe and my brother put the 583's into his Fatboy.We both have stage ones fitted and our fuelling is via Thundermax with autotune.He has a V&H 2 into 1 as his exhaust system and his bike ran S-O-O good and S -O -O hard on his existing map that he wont even consider the correct map for cam alterations!!He can pull 4th gear at 60 kph and his bike will accelerate.He says on the highway at 100 kph in top gear with a passenger the bike goes like it's in 4th!I'd told him what to expect,but the results have absolutely staggered him.Mine on the other hand,dosen't run so well on my old map.It gets the correct map on Sunday between trips to visit my Wife's son.

As for the easy start;we both found that to be highly effective.And yes,it does make a click sometimes when the bike shuts down.And like you,i tend to wonder if "non starting stories" are somewhat apocryphal.I did discover lots of negative info as i wandered about the Internet.

Anyway,one of us thinks his next 5 Christmases have come right now!The other will wait until he puts map#546 int his T/max.

When I was at Kendall Johnson Customs a few months ago to get compression releases put in Zack informed me of the easy start cams and I declined I love the way my bike pulls with the HQ-0033G cams.

Back