free website stats program S.E. 103 stage 4- cam options | Harley Davidson Forums

S.E. 103 stage 4- cam options

Brutal FXDX

Anyone have any ideas for a good midrange replacement cam for S.E. 103 stage 4 kit in a FLHX. The kit comes with se260 cams, but are too top end. Needs a better midrange cam. Any ideas?

Anyone have any ideas for a good midrange replacement cam for S.E. 103 stage 4 kit in a FLHX. The kit comes with se260 cams, but are too top end. Needs a better midrange cam. Any ideas?

This is where R.Bingham Shines... He'll be along soon...:newsmile063:

signed....BUBBIE

Im going to try the S&S 585 chain drive cams. intake closes at 45 degrees ABDC and 245 duration vs. 55 degrees ABDC and 263 duration on the SE 260maybe even use a +4 degree sprocket?. Ive used these on many 95" bikes and made good midrange torque. Still comes on a little late 2500-2800 rpm, but still a lot better than the 260.

Im going to try the S&S 585 chain drive cams. intake closes at 45 degrees ABDC and 245 duration vs. 55 degrees ABDC and 263 duration on the SE 260maybe even use a +4 degree sprocket?. Ive used these on many 95" bikes and made good midrange torque. Still comes on a little late 2500-2800 rpm, but still a lot better than the 260.

I was thinking on the +- 4* myself.. That 55/60 close is sure Nasty on leaving the gasses out,,, I could never figure going that much.. Big Trade off in my understanding..

I had some of the cams i used, int close at 48 and even then the RPM range was always above 3 to get the power band to HOPP.... 10.5 then /10.25 used that build,,,, Stilled flowed the static at 205# with .045 head gaskets
Just using a SS 570 G on a TC, 2000 FXDS with manley valve work, heads flowed by Bob Woods + a bunch of other stuff left the Bottom a little to be desired...
But when shifted down,,, Look Out...

signed....BUBBIE

There's alot of info out there on cams. I made my choice after reading different articals and understanding what the (numbers) mean.
I am running an Andrews 37H and love it. Make sure you understand all the variables like compression ratio, duration, intake/exhast open and close deg. Glider explains exactly what you need to know. Read it over until you under stand it. Then make a choice.
The Andrews site has good explinations on what each cam is made to do also. Knowlage is a good thing!:yes

Thanks guys for the kudos. Brutal does it have to be the SE 103 stage 4 kit? GMR Performance has some great engine packages that I would look at long and hard before I made any decisions. They have a 107 build that would be NASTY on the street. How about 106/120tq :D
Downloads | DYNO Sheets
It's the 107 Kit 07 Ultra GMR Build listed on the above link.

Also those Heads that come with the SE Stage 4 kit are really suited for a bigger motor. They are the 110+ ci. heads and they have a 95cc combustion chamber.

You could have you own heads ported to a stage 3 , use an Andrews 54H cam, set the CCC to 10.05 and it's capable of 108/122tq.:D Both of those builds have over 100tq @ 2000 rpm and carries 100+ all the way to 5500 rpm. You will have to improve your clutch with either of those builds.

JMO it would be better to get a package that has a power band better suited to your needs that trying to mix-match parts.

Randall

Bike already has a S.E. 103 stage 4 kit installed as it comes out of the box. Makes 113hp and 107 tq. Customer is just looking for some more mid range torque, and is not as concerned with top end hp.

Brutal,
A few months ago jlbeebe was having this same issue. He had just bought a heritage with a SE Stage 4 103 and found that it was too soft on the bottom also. He ended up going with a Woods TW 400-6 cam set. It was just what the Dr. ordered. Here is the thread on this discussion and he even posted the dyno sheet for it after he was done.

new cams - Harley Davidson Community

HTH,
Randall

Back