free website stats program Ruby is sick... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ruby is sick...

I don't feel I made an enemy... Just had a sales person fail to call me 2 days in a row, when he promised to do so... So, he lost a customer... His fault, not mine... But it is amusing when folks get interested in the drama, instead of the problem...

Anyway, I just got the bike back from the shop... They had it almost 2 weeks, rode all the gas out of it, and returned it to me with an empty tank, and the explanation they could not find anything wrong with it... Of course I know not one of them took the bike for at least a 30 minute ride, to allow the front end parts to warm up... Anything less has no results...

I took my daughter on a ride the same day I got the bike back... At first, there was nothing... After about 30 minutes the front end started making its clunking noise, when hitting bumps... After a little while longer, the noise became constant... She was freaked out, saying the dealership must be smoking the crack...

I suggested to the dealership that I should ride the bike over to the shop, which is a good distance away, and then taking the girl who sold me the bike for a ride... The bike will be well warmed up, and making its noises...

Once the bike is well warm, the noise is made at all speeds, whenever hitting bumps, or just the natural working of the front end forks... But it is identifyable as being directly coming from the forks... At times, you can feel the metallic clunking in the bars... Also, there is almost a feel that the forks drop to their bottom, as fully extending, and hitting metal stops, but the front end is on the ground...

It is a bizzarre thing that really no one has been able to put their hands around... It is definitely there, and effects the handling of the bike... If nothing else can be done, and I can get the shop to acknowledge there is a problem, I will go as far as to suggest they put a new set of forks on the bike...

Oh, and they did change the fork oil to the Screaming Eagle stuff...

RubysDad

I think touring frame & front end same r/k or any touring bike. what im not shure is years they put cartridge in. someone may know or call dealer or check manual. very good to have.

break pads have that thin seal around the outer edge. this can wear away causing them rattle around loose in the caliper, would be worth a quick look. and cheaper then forks.

Sounds like a good plan would be to make an appointment to take it in good and warm and have them do an immediate test ride or take a tech with you on the bike while hot. Motor mounts or stabilizers come to mind 'cause heat could soften the rubber and allow over travel or amplify a crack in them which could cause metal to metal? Just brain storming and guessing. :dknow

Back