free website stats program Ruby is sick... | Harley Davidson Forums

Ruby is sick...

RubysDad

Hey Y'all... I'm a newb here, and came to ask a question... Hopefully someone, or a lot of someones have had this problem, and know what it is, an how to fix it...

Ruby is a 2004 RK Classic... She has 11K miles on her, and I bought her not quite 3 weeks ago... Once the bike is ridden, and really warmed up, the front end starts making a hollow clunking when hitting even minor bumps... On Labor Day weekend I took a ride to another state... I ended up putting about 300 miles on her that day... But what hapened really spooked me, and at this point I cannot trust the bike, and it is currently at the shop, and has been so for over a week, and they keep telling me there is nothing wrong with it...

I noticed the hollow clunking on the out of state ride even on minor bumps, like I previously mentioned, but in turns, the front end would start making the noise, it would feel like the forks wer not dampening the front end, and it felt like it wanted to wash out on me... Coming home, I got out on the interstate for a bit, and above 65, the front end started making the noise again, and felt like it wanted to drift off, to the point where it felt like I was going to lose it... I had to imediately back down to about 60... I was really spooked...

Does anyone have a clue to what this might be?... I really need the help...

TNX,

Ruby's Dad...

Hey Y'all... I'm a newb here, and came to ask a question... Hopefully someone, or a lot of someones have had this problem, and know what it is, an how to fix it...

Ruby is a 2004 RK Classic... She has 11K miles on her, and I bought her not quite 3 weeks ago... Once the bike is ridden, and really warmed up, the front end starts making a hollow clunking when hitting even minor bumps... On Labor Day weekend I took a ride to another state... I ended up putting about 300 miles on her that day... But what hapened really spooked me, and at this point I cannot trust the bike, and it is currently at the shop, and has been so for over a week, and they keep telling me there is nothing wrong with it...

I noticed the hollow clunking on the out of state ride even on minor bumps, like I previously mentioned, but in turns, the front end would start making the noise, it would feel like the forks wer not dampening the front end, and it felt like it wanted to wash out on me... Coming home, I got out on the interstate for a bit, and above 65, the front end started making the noise again, and felt like it wanted to drift off, to the point where it felt like I was going to lose it... I had to imediately back down to about 60... I was really spooked...

Does anyone have a clue to what this might be?... I really need the help...

TNX,

Ruby's Dad...

Any front end wobble . what kind of noise???

RubysDad; sounds like your front tree bearing/bushings could be worn - telltale sign is the annoying clunk. Check w/the shop & it's a pretty easy fix, if you have the service manual.

RubysDad; sounds like your front tree bearing/bushings could be worn - telltale sign is the annoying clunk. Check w/the shop & it's a pretty easy fix, if you have the service manual.

Wouldn't that happen even if the scoot wasn't warmed up as stated by the OP?

Wouldn't that happen even if the scoot wasn't warmed up as stated by the OP?

OOps, flew right over this detail, but yes if front-end was loose it should happen w/either condition (cold & warm). So now I guess there's more to ponder...:eam

I got the frontend howell same as you but not all the other stuff, I plan to start with the front wheel bearings as my 1st winter project and then work my way up. Not even going to check em just change em outright then you know what you have.

I am only two years into the big bike riding so my experiance on them is still growing. Prior to that, I rode MX for years. I agree that the stearing bearings could definatly be the culprit here. When these bearings start to go, they can give you fits. After sitting for sometime, the bearings will settle into place and you will not notice anything until you have turned a couple times. Once you have turned and moved the bearing, you will definatly notice the clunking in the front end if the bearings are even a little bit worn. It is definatly worth changing them if the bike sat for an extended of time prior to you purchase. My two cents worth.

Hey Y'all... TNX for the replies... I guess I need to go into a tad more detail, and clarify a few things...

When I was checking out this bike I took 2 test rides on it, and the front end did not make any noise... After I bought it, on the ride home, it did not do it... But I did not make it all the way home... The stator went out on it, about 8 miles away from the dealership... The dealership picked it up, fixed the stator, and delivered the bike back to me... The first time I rode the bike, after getting it back, it was making the noise, but after riding for a while... So, I believe whatever happend, happened between the dealership picking the bike up, and bringing it back to me... It was in their care...

The bike does not make the noise when turning the forks... What it sounds like is almost like there is no oil in the forks, but there is oil in them... It's almost like hearing the springs rattling inside the fork tubes... The way it acts in turns is as though the forks are not dampening the front end, and the front wheel is bouncing, and fading out... The same when riding in a straight line on the interstate... There is no real "wobble" in the bike... Just the sound, and the movement...

The shop has it, and a whole bunch of people were supposed to ride her, and see if they can figure it out, even a Harley rep... They said they were going to change the fork oil to the screaming eagle stuff, and see if that helps... But I have to go over there and ride her for a while, and see if it is fixed, or still doing it...

The biggest thing is at this particular point, not knowing what the heck was going on, I do not trust the bike... And even if it gets fixed, I may not trust it for a little while... Second, the shop has had her for over a week now, and some of the talk I hear from people who call me is an attitude that I have no idea what I'm talking about, and it's all in my imagination...

I sent the manager an E, asking if they checked the tire balance, wheel true, alignment from front to rear, and the stem nut tension... I've not heard back...

I'm probably going over there beginning of next week... The shop is about 30 miles away...

I do have one question, if anyone can answer it... If someone were to take a bike like mine and run it into a wall, at say a slow speed, intentionally, could it bend the forks ever so slightly that they would heat up when riding for a bit, and then lose the ability to dampen, and even not lose any oil in the forks?...

If anyone else has an idea, lemme hear it...

TNX again...

RubysDad

I do have one question, if anyone can answer it... If someone were to take a bike like mine and run it into a wall, at say a slow speed, intentionally, could it bend the forks ever so slightly that they would heat up when riding for a bit, and then lose the ability to dampen, and even not lose any oil in the forks?...

RubysDad

Well you know someone's going to ask so it might as well be me.

Do you suspect something? Have you made an enemy at this dealership who might do something like this?

Back