free website stats program Road King tech puzzle of the day! | Harley Davidson Forums

Road King tech puzzle of the day!

Ok..this problem is driving me and my mechanic nuts! I have a 2003 Road King FI, 95ci, 13k miles, Power Commander III and true duals. Problem started in October when it started idling and running roughly. Mechanic changed out intake seals and put it on the Dyno...no problem right! Wrong!

Ever since it has started to miss between 2500 and 2700 rpms. Brought it back to the mechanic and 4 months later still no solution. As I understand it he has tried the following:

Changed out the control module
Bypassed the PCIII
Changed out the crank sensor
pulled the injectors
checked all wiring for stress points
R&R the top end

Please help! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hope he changed out or at least substituted the plugs, wires (or swapped) and checked the ignition coil...

It throws an intermittent rear cylinder combustion code...think its an 001. Only does this occasionly though even when running rough all the time

He has checked the pressure and it is in range. Also did the hose as he said it was part of a recall/tech bulliten.

replaced plugs, wires and coil!

Last edited by a moderator:
this miss at 2500/2700 rpms happens no matter if the scoot -- is cold,warm,in neutral sitting still,going down the road with or without PC plugged in???????

yes it seems to be pretty consistent. It is a bit worse when cold but not much. It will do it down the road and also while on the dyno or on the stand. Mechanic has replaced the PCIII with a thundermax so he can plug the computer straight in for diagnosis but no help. Have exhausted all ideas with electrical at this point and the fact that is not throwing consistent codes is no help either. Next step is cam timing?

Your problem is the fuel injector wiring to the rear cylinder. The copper is broken inside the jacket near the plug. Give it the wiggle test with the motor running and see if it misses.

It isn't a visible to the eye. You sometimes can feel it if you run your fingers along the wire within a few inches of the plug on the injector. The best way is the wiggle test as checking it with a meter will show as good.

The problem was caused by the wire bundle being tie wrapped too tightly when it was built.

Run the motor and wiggle the wire to the rear injector, even give it a light tug too and see if the motor stumbles.

Back