free website stats program Road Glide vs Ultra | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Road Glide vs Ultra

I really like the look of the road glide. But I heard they are not very comfortable? Anyone buy an Ultra and strip it down to a roadglide....then one day could go back to Ultra? Is this possible...Any Ideas
hap
You cannot "strip" an Ultra and make it look like a Roadglide, the Ultra has a "batwing" fork mounted fairing that turns with the front forks, the Roadglide has a "sharknose" fixed fairing that attaches to the frame and does not move with the forks. As for comphort, I've never owned a FLHT, but all 3 of my Roadglides needed a different seat and Handlebars to fit me, most of the guys I know who have FLHT's don't have to change much for comphort.

I rented a 07 EG Classic two years ago Denver, Wyoming to Sturgis thru Nebraska to Denver. Two up we just loved it. This year I rented a 09 Road Glide (frame mounted fairing). Bozeman MT to Sturgis to Glacier to Bozeman 2300 Miles in 9 days. Awsome ...But my lady hated the seat position, I didn't like the wind coming at me from between the fairing and bike. The radio if I used it was too far away. But 6 speed 2300 miles and only paid $111 in gas I am sold.
Last week I picked up my 2010 EG Classic..so far only breaking it in but love it. I smile each time I ride it. But plan to get lower windshield and get quick release tourpac. sort of make it Street glide without the premium price added because everyone it seems here in CA wants one.

Pete
Black 2010 UC Classic

I really like the look of the road glide. But I heard they are not very comfortable? Anyone buy an Ultra and strip it down to a roadglide....then one day could go back to Ultra? Is this possible...Any Ideas
hap

I am a bit confused. My Road Glide is very comfortable. Nothing to strip an Ultra down to. Are you talking about a Street Glide?

I rented a 07 EG Classic two years ago Denver, Wyoming to Sturgis thru Nebraska to Denver. Two up we just loved it. This year I rented a 09 Road Glide (frame mounted fairing). Bozeman MT to Sturgis to Glacier to Bozeman 2300 Miles in 9 days. Awsome ...But my lady hated the seat position, I didn't like the wind coming at me from between the fairing and bike. The radio if I used it was too far away. But 6 speed 2300 miles and only paid $111 in gas I am sold.
Last week I picked up my 2010 EG Classic..so far only breaking it in but love it. I smile each time I ride it. But plan to get lower windshield and get quick release tourpac. sort of make it Street glide without the premium price added because everyone it seems here in CA wants one.

Pete
Black 2010 UC Classic
Pete,
You did the right thing, trying both bikes. The biggest difference between the Road Glide and the Electra Glide, besides the obivious Fairing, is the passenger seating. Harley "designed" the FLHT as a "two-up" motorcycle moving the driver about 2" forward and giving the passenger 2" more room.
The Roadglide, to me, was designed as a "one-up" touring motorcycle.
I've had 3 FLTR's and I like the little bit of wind passing between the fairing and the tank, it creates a little pocket of negative pressure right in front of me. The radio controls and gauges being farther away gives me a feeling of space, but to each his own.
I believe if my girl didn't have her own set of handelbars, a 05 Road King, I'd be riding an Electra Glide too.
Anyway congrats on the new bike. And do your homework on that quick dis-connect for the tourpac, I think it might move your passenge into a more forward position unless you mount the box on the rack as far back as possible.

Back