free website stats program Riding Hard | Harley Davidson Forums

Riding Hard

glyd-n

How hard do you push your bike? I don't ride my bike like it's a sport bike, but I do like to get the most out of it. For instance, I do most of my shifting at 3000 rpms and depending on what I'm trying to accomplish, sometimes at 4000 rpms. Very seldom will I let it get to 5000 rpms. To some, this may seem a bit aggressive, but I like to see what its made of. I'm curious to know the riding style of some of the members here on the world's best HD forum.:D:D

When I was younger (in my 50's) I pushed my Dyna pretty hard at times. I rode Deals gap a few times, and hit the rev limiter (6,000) a few times in lower gears, then backed down on the compression. My rear brakes were smoking when I pulled into the store/campground. I have done dozens of hard launches and drag races, shifting with full throttle (missed a few shifts too). At 30+ K miles the bearings went out on the front exhaust lifter. It's been another 35 K miles since then. I hit 5 k rpm quite often because it sounds so good, and gets there so fast. It leaks a little oil from the rear rocker box, and weeps a little from the front left base gasket. I'm not complaining. I'm a lot easier on my 96 in. TC, but it gets bounced off the limiter every now and then.

I "ride soft." I usually shift between 2500 and 3000 rpm. I never exceed 3500 rpm for shifting or running. My engine better last forever, or at least for the next 15 years until I'm 75.

Although I have had mostly sportbikes,I just ride moderatly hard shifting at 3500 to 4000 rpm.I like to feel and hear the engine purr and I find I ride corners more aggressively than my other harley friends.

On the Ultra, usually shift before 3500. On the Dyna, depends on which way the wind is blowing. It is not unusual to wind it out, that's what it's for. :D

I live in a small community and hardly ever have a need to get on it when at home, but have to hit the highway regular to get anywhere else. Usually just cruise everywhere and take care of the sled. However, I always love getting on the throttle some and just blowing the carbon out the exhaust to keep the throught clean.

I do ride harder than most I ride with, especially when we get to the mountians. I am usually sitting on the bike watching everyone esle pull in. This is on my RG, and I usually average 20K miles a year.

I take it easy most of the time. Usually shift around 2500 with only the occasional trip to 4 or 5 grand.

Bought a cruiser so now I "cruise" around - don't need to ride hard. Now, in my earlier days we wound-up the street bikes & dirt bikes pretty hard, but those days are long gone for me.

what part of ride hard dont you understand :D
if im cruising on the glide i short shift at around 2500rpms (the tq in the 110 let me do this) if im getting on 5000rpms - trust me on this at these rpms if the front comes up in 2nd it would be vertical and if its greasy the rear will not stop spinning up, my sporty flat stick 99% of the time - i have seen it off the clock numerous times, my dyna well lets just say flat stick beating on Lambos and Ferraris and Porsches :D

I do believe the KING of ride hard has spoken...:D

I'm usually pretty easy on my ride, shifting between 2500 and 3000. Had the bike for a little over a year and just hit the limiter the other day when I got a wild hair but I usually ride like a pepere...

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually ride 'soft' shifting about 2500 rpm's. But when I am with my buddy who rides a brand X he rides hard most times and that's my 'excuse' to do ride hard.

Back