free website stats program Riding Hard | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Riding Hard

Normal riding is 2700 -3000, shift above that. If I'm getting on it I'll shift about 4500 or above. Hit the limiter in 1st and 2nd a few times, but figure thats a saftey anyhow, shouldnt hurt it. Stage 1 with fuel pack.

I've been behind Smitty, he knows how to swing the hammer.....:)

Last edited:
I kinda let the road determine the tempo. In town and around the burbs, short shifts to keep the relations with the neighbours respectful.

Don't speak too often with the cows or sheep and when the road is open with no or little traffic, I do run through the gears a bit. :D

No tach, shift when it feels right. If I was to guess, I'm sure it's near red line a few times.

I "ride soft." I usually shift between 2500 and 3000 rpm. I never exceed 3500 rpm for shifting or running. My engine better last forever, or at least for the next 15 years until I'm 75.

I'm with ya. I'm to old and worked to hard to push my Dyna to far. Don't get me wrong, I have fun on the twisties. But no tickets yet :). Just having fun. Put three girls thru college so I finally spent money on me. I hope my Dyna last a while too for what is cost me. I'll admt hitting 3000 and shifting giving full throddle is a riot after my Stage One. :)

I commute 112 miles per dayPretty much every day rain or shine March~Nov. I wind it up pretty hard a few times a day...many times getting to 5k. Its a machine...you gotta treat it like one.

That's ok as long as you set'em back down when the walk signal changes the first time around! :60:

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in a small community and hardly ever have a need to get on it when at home, but have to hit the highway regular to get anywhere else. Usually just cruise everywhere and take care of the sled. However, I always love getting on the throttle some and just blowing the carbon out the exhaust to keep the throught clean.

This pretty much how I drive. Most of the time I'm just taking it easy, but sometimes you just can't resist. You gotta free those horses from time to time.

I ride mine slowly.Never seen ANY rev limiter;and i've lowered mine via my Thundermax to 4992 rpm.-closest to 5000 rpm i could get.
My change-up point is about 2500 rpm and the few times i've been to 3000,i've felt the bike's 'sweet spot' is a bit lower.

I bought a Harley to slow down and to try and avoid the Goverment's dogmatic insistence and over-the-top enforcement of Draconian speed laws.In this country,ONLY speed kills on our roads.Go slow,and you're below the radar(pun intended).

These thing are so much more fun at lower speeds and revs.It's a joy to relax and cruise.Safer too.

I usually do 3k rpm shifts. Once in a while may twist it a tad more, but I ride a tourer not a sport bike.
Doesn't take long to get'er up over legal and I really hate speeding tickets. They take money I could better use elsewhere.

Back