free website stats program Replacing Rear Turn Signal Sockets with Front Sockets | Harley Davidson Forums

Replacing Rear Turn Signal Sockets with Front Sockets

mrglide

On my '09 FLHTC I was thinking of replacing the rear turn signal sockets which have 1156 bulbs to the sockets used in the front signals in order to use 1157 bulbs.

Anyone know how to connect them in the rear so they function as run/turn/brake lights? I prefer not to use the HD run/turn/controller if possible.

Thanks.

On my '09 FLHTC I was thinking of replacing the rear turn signal sockets which have 1156 bulbs to the sockets used in the front signals in order to use 1157 bulbs.

Anyone know how to connect them in the rear so they function as run/turn/brake lights? I prefer not to use the HD run/turn/controller if possible.

Thanks.

check out custom dynamics, there's some controllers there you might be interested in. otherwise google motorcycle lighting, then, open your wallet.

Most of us see what you want to do, run separate running lights and signal light filiaments on the rear like the front. The down side to that is the two fillaments have a common ground creating a "sneak leakage path" while doubling current draw adding two extra filiments (one on each side) in parallel, possibly damaging your expensive TSSM at worst or at least cause diagnostic code to key up.

Use the isolation module...it is safer than replacing the $300 module plus dealer TSSM programming and marrying back to your ECM/ICM, labor and downtime. It is your bike, you can do whatever you want, myself I know what I am doing when it comes to electronics, and use 3 dimensional thinking to get the job done. In this case, since you do not know if HD adds isolation circuitry when they add light bars and such, just "bridging" existing circuits in parallel seems simple enough, but you do not know what logic/driver pass elements are inside the TSSM and is not worth the risk by just throwing hardware in to see if it works...JMHO.

Same goes with adding trailer wiring, off course you could do it yourself, but if you can obtain a "Plug & Play" kit with a guarantee and no cutting, isn't that what we want for our NEW, IN-WARRANTY possessions?. HD dealer that you brought it from might offer a discount to install it for you as well...such a deal for what is likely a common upgrade they do all the time.

Last edited:
Mr.Glide; I can't help you with wiring, you should be able to find that in the service manual. I don't feel that you will be in jeopardy of harming anything by adding more current draw. Ultra's have extra run/stop lights in the tour pack, H.D. accessory catalog has a couple of additional run/stop lights to add to the rear, and catalog doesn't say "additional stuff required". I have seen a lot of baggers that have more lights than an 18 wheeler on the back, so it must not be too difficult.

Thanks.

Wiring in the dual filament sockets you would only have extra running lights or brake lights and your signals not run/brake/turn.
The only way I know of to get run/brake/turn lights is with the HD kit or Badlands module.
You'd have to splice into your running lights or brake lights.

Wiring in the dual filament sockets you would only have extra running lights or brake lights and your signals not run/brake/turn.
The only way I know of to get run/brake/turn lights is with the HD kit or Badlands module.
You'd have to splice into your running lights or brake lights.

If you are correct, and you probably are, that may be why the kits are sold. :)

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

If you don't use the HD or someone else's module you are going to have to wire up your own converter. When it is all said and done you will spend more money and likely have something that isn't nearly as clean as the HD conver.

What is your adversion to HD's kit?

If you don't use the HD or someone else's module you are going to have to wire up your own converter. When it is all said and done you will spend more money and likely have something that isn't nearly as clean as the HD conver.

What is your adversion to HD's kit?

No aversion. I was curious if any one knew exactly what to do since searching for the answer yielded nothing about having run/turn/brake all running off a rear 1157 bulb. I also thought it would be a nice project for rainy days.

smitty901,

Believe me, I don't take postings or e-mail from the internet at face value. I like to verify such advice, and always "measure 3 times before cutting once".

Back