free website stats program Replacing Comp-Cams Lifters After 3000 miles. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Replacing Comp-Cams Lifters After 3000 miles.

Well I'm sorry to say that I'm still having problems with the 850-1 lifters even after going back to a 20w-50wt oil. It's a lot better but not fixed. I'll go ahead and run it a little while longer but I guess I'll install a set of GMR's after awhile.

As stated before, keep us posted on your progress with this.

About ten years ago, I rebuilt the engine in my 1967 Galaxie and installed a Comp Cams high performance cam and lifters. Since the car is an antique, I don't put many miles on it, but noticed about 6 months later a severe misfire and oil burning. Eventually got to pull the valve cover off and was shocked to find that the intake valve on the #8 cylinder wasn't moving at all. For those of you who have ever worked on a Ford FE engine know what a pain it is to get to the lifters. Anyway, when i finally puled the lifter, 1/3 of it was gone! Literally worn right off. Thank god the cam lobe didn't suffer any damage. I contacted Comp Cams and basically asked if I could just buy one lifter. In spite of several attempts I never heard from them. Put the old Ford lifter back in and she's still running today. Probably apples and oranges but thought I'd share.

About ten years ago, I rebuilt the engine in my 1967 Galaxie and installed a Comp Cams high performance cam and lifters. Since the car is an antique, I don't put many miles on it, but noticed about 6 months later a severe misfire and oil burning. Eventually got to pull the valve cover off and was shocked to find that the intake valve on the #8 cylinder wasn't moving at all. For those of you who have ever worked on a Ford FE engine know what a pain it is to get to the lifters. Anyway, when i finally puled the lifter, 1/3 of it was gone! Literally worn right off. Thank god the cam lobe didn't suffer any damage. I contacted Comp Cams and basically asked if I could just buy one lifter. In spite of several attempts I never heard from them. Put the old Ford lifter back in and she's still running today. Probably apples and oranges but thought I'd share.

Comparing a flat tappet lifter to a roller lifter; yeah, apples and oranges but thanks for sharing.:newsmile091:

Just saw some Woods Directional Lifters used with only 200 miles on them and thought about trying them out. Dolt what ya think, better than the GMR's or about the same ?

I have a set of COMP Cams High Energy Hydraulic Roller Lifters 850-16 in my 11 FLTRX with over 50k on them. No problem. Some cams just make a little more noise than others. Some don't.

Just saw some Woods Directional Lifters used with only 200 miles on them and thought about trying them out. Dolt what ya think, better than the GMR's or about the same ?

I am running Woods lifters in my all bore 107" but, at the time, Mr. Woods was out in front of everyone else with a high quality, tight tolerance lifter but they are a bit pricey. I don't know much about the GMR lifter but I have talked to Steve who is GMR and would have to say the if he is putting GMR on a lifter, it's a good one. I have read a couple of posts on other forums from guys that have tried the GMR lifter and all are quite happy with the product. Made in USA and not a "re-branded" product selling at $189 with a one year, unlimited mileage warranty; hard no to like that.:D

If the Woods lifters can be had for less than $150 shipped, I might go that route, otherwise, go with GMR.

I am running the Comp 875's in mine, almost 10K miles on them, no noises. But I run them at about 4 flats. I have always set up the chevy motors that I have run at 1 turn, never had a problem & they don't seem to eager to float at the 8K mark.

Toby

Back