free website stats program Replacing Comp-Cams Lifters After 3000 miles. | Harley Davidson Forums

Replacing Comp-Cams Lifters After 3000 miles.

Tn.Heritage

Well I read a lot about lifters and hadn't seen 1 bad comment about the Comp-Cams 850-1 lifters, so for $67 you get what you pay for I guess. They are very hard to pump up and still noisy in some areas after warm up. I even tried readjusting to no-avail. So I got to digging around and found a set of Harley B-Lifters I had in a 06 bike with less than 8000 miles on them, guess where there going. :s I'll let you know how it turns out but they looked good after sitting for 6 years or so. I knew I held on to them for a reason !!

I would love to here about your outcome on this. Keep us posted.

I'm right around the 3,000 mile mark on my 850-1 Comp. Cam lifters. No issues, but,,, you've got me listening real close. This board will be first to hear of any problems I have.

Well the outcome reminded me why I had those lifters in the B-lifter box but now I can't figure out why I didn't toss them. Those lifters were fueling lifters (Junk), they were installed in a 88" engine with HQ 034 cams, I wondered why those things were so noisy now I know. :( Well a lot of work for nothing, I pulled it back down and reinstalled the comp lifters and readjusted at 3.4 turns which is around .150 thous. down. Fired it back up and it seems a little quieter and I also had another issue going on I believe. I had let a friend talk me into running a straight 50wt oil and that's to thick for my bike. Some may can run it but not me. I put Valvoline 20w-50 motorcycle oil back in and were good to go.

So it turns out that the Comp Cams lifters were NOT the culprit?

The Comp Cams lifters are made for them by various manufacturers. It has been a while since I purchased a set but when I did purchase in the past, I would specifically request lifters made by Delphi. I am not sure if Delphi is still one of Comp Cams suppliers but it would be worth asking before purchasing in the future. There used to be a Comp Cams sales guy that understood the request and would insure that the customer got Delphi lifters; IIRC, he went by "Red", but that has been a while back; things do change.

I also bought a set of comp lifters advertised for harleys. They are not the same as harley lifters. The hole thats in the lifter seat that allows oil to pump up through the pushrod is. 030 smaller. About 30% less volume. I never installed them when i did my cam and tensioner update on the 05. My old lifters were in great shape and i have another 10000 truble free miles on them. I wont use the comp lifters regardless of how indxpensive they are

I also bought a set of comp lifters advertised for harleys. They are not the same as harley lifters. The hole thats in the lifter seat that allows oil to pump up through the pushrod is. 030 smaller. About 30% less volume. I never installed them when i did my cam and tensioner update on the 05. My old lifters were in great shape and i have another 10000 truble free miles on them. I wont use the comp lifters regardless of how indxpensive they are

Well I also noticed that the holes were a little smaller and that's probably why the 50wt just wouldn't work until the engine got real warm, I mean after riding 30 minutes warm. But it's all good now, or at least I hope so. The comp cams lifters looked ok with 3000 miles or so on them and after a 200 or more mile ride today all went great. No ticking and bike ran flawless.
Note to self, stop listening to other suggestions on oil! I'm actually running a Non Syn. right now which I wouldn't have just a few months ago, go figure.

Lots of CompCams VThunder lifters running with no issues; actually, the same lifter small block chevys run. Another good buy appears to be the new CYCO copy of the earlier Harley "B" lifter. Haven't run any myself but the initial reports I read have been good.

I just read about these and asked my Indie and he said that they asked about them but Cyco refused to divulge any details about the lifters so he was afraid to try them. I can't blame him though !

Back